C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Price for a '74 Vinyl Hardtop!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2003, 02:02 PM
GS Diva
Safety Car

Received 142 Likes on 79 Posts

Default Need Price for a '74 Vinyl Hardtop!!

We have someone very interested in buying the white vinyl hardtop that went with our '74 convertible, and we said we'd come up with a fair price. The top has a small tear in the vinyl but is in good shape otherwise.

Thanks for your help!

Elaine
Old 01-18-2003, 02:48 PM
74 vert
Melting Slicks

Location: Where are the Smoky Mountain Cruisers? Not Correctly Restored Stingray
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Re: Need Price for a '74 Vinyl Hardtop!! (GS Diva)

post a pick, how much do you want
Old 01-18-2003, 03:08 PM
GS Diva
Safety Car

Default Re: Need Price for a '74 Vinyl Hardtop!! (74 vert)

post a pick, how much do you want
I have no idea what I want...the guy wants it, and we said we'd figure out a fair price...fair to him and fair to us.

Don't have a digital camera so am not going to post a picture.

Elaine
Old 01-18-2003, 03:41 PM
standup
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Need Price for a '74 Vinyl Hardtop!! (GS Diva)

I've seen C3 convertible hardtops for sale on this forum & elsewhere for $650-$1000, but I don't know if these were vinyl (rare?) or painted.

Hope this helps
Old 01-18-2003, 04:17 PM
Paul Borowski
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 274 Likes on 160 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
Cruise-In VI Veteran
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12

Default Re: Need Price for a '74 Vinyl Hardtop!! (standup)

Well, for one thing, there was no such thing as a "White Vinyl" hardtop made by GM for '68-'75 Corvettes, so really what's it worth? Whatever someone is willing to pay for it. I've seen "original" Black ones go for $650(usually needing work) to mint ones for $1200. It also depends on your money situation, do you really need the hardtop?, do you really want to part with it?,etc. If he's truely interested, tell him to make an offer-if it's really nice, it's probably worth $700.
Old 01-18-2003, 04:25 PM
GS Diva
Safety Car

Default Re: Need Price for a '74 Vinyl Hardtop!! (Paul Borowski)

Well, for one thing, there was no such thing as a "White Vinyl" hardtop made by GM for '68-'75 Corvettes, so really what's it worth? Whatever someone is willing to pay for it. I've seen "original" Black ones go for $650(usually needing work) to mint ones for $1200. It also depends on your money situation, do you really need the hardtop?, do you really want to part with it?,etc. If he's truely interested, tell him to make an offer-if it's really nice, it's probably worth $700.
Well, if there was no such thing as a white vinyl hardtop, what do I have?? Is it one that was recovered at some time?? We have no use for it but are certainly not in need of $$.

We turned in our '74 convertible a week or so ago for a 2002, and the person who is buying the '74 from the dealership called us. He's the one who is interested in it. We'd like to make it a fair price for both of us.

Guess we'll just ask him what he wants to pay for it!

Thanks!!

Elaine
Old 01-18-2003, 04:33 PM
PRNDL
Team Owner

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

A white vinyl top...... could have been done for a variety of reasons. Most likely is the car is red and the owner found a green top...... so rather than paint it to match he just covered it with white vinyl. There were vinyl tops, but I guess they were black. Could have been black vinyl recovered in white. If the headliner and glass are in good shape, $5-700 is a fair price.... for the buyer :) I would also mention to the buyer whether or not you know or think the top is original to the car or not. MJ
Old 01-18-2003, 04:44 PM
Paul Borowski
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Cruise-In VI Veteran

Default Re: (MNJack)

Elaine, it was probably a "custom" job that someone did special, which too could be unique. If that dealer had your Orange '74 on the Internet(I think it was yours), it was nice looking-I could use a twin for MY '74 :lolg:

ps Elaine, were'nt you in one of the Corvette Magazines with the '74 a few month's ago??? One of the "Corvette Diva" issues???
Old 01-18-2003, 04:54 PM
Gordonm
Race Director

Received 754 Likes on 464 Posts

Default Re: (Paul Borowski)

I paid 700 for a very nice black vinyl hardtop. I've seen them from a low of 300 (poor condition) to 1200 for a mint original
Old 01-18-2003, 05:01 PM
GS Diva
Safety Car

Default Re: (Paul Borowski)

Elaine, it was probably a "custom" job that someone did special, which too could be unique. If that dealer had your Orange '74 on the Internet(I think it was yours), it was nice looking-I could use a twin for MY '74 :lolg:

ps Elaine, were'nt you in one of the Corvette Magazines with the '74 a few month's ago??? One of the "Corvette Diva" issues???
Hi,

That car currently on E-Bay is ours! It really is beautiful, but we just couldn't justify having 3 Corvettes (I have a GS convertible), and Hubby really wanted the Electron Blue (red interior/white top) so the '74 had to go. I actually cried when we turned it in!!

We had left word that anyone could contact us, and we'd be happy to tell them whatever we knew about the car. Anyway, someone here in MA called today and is more than likely going to buy the car from the dealer. He's very interested in the top, also. The top is not original to the car but came with it when we bought it 4-1/2 years ago.

By the way, that wasn't me in the Diva issue a few months ago...but I was in Corvette Fever's Diva issue of 2001 with my '88 yellow convertible, "Lemon Peel"!! I've since sold that and bought the '96 Grand Sport convertible I have now. Maybe I'll make another Diva issue with that one!! :)

Thanks to all for your help.

Elaine

P.S. Paul, beautiful coupe!!
Old 01-18-2003, 05:07 PM
Paul Borowski
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Cruise-In VI Veteran

Default Re: (GS Diva)

Elaine, now your "supposed to keep and collect" :lolg:

I do remember that "Lemon Peel" pic. Congrats :cheers:

Get notified of new replies

To Need Price for a '74 Vinyl Hardtop!!

Quick Reply: Need Price for a '74 Vinyl Hardtop!!