C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buy ZZ4 or buildup L48?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2003, 11:58 AM
ken welch
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buy ZZ4 or buildup L48?

The ZZ4 is rated at 355hp. This is right where I would like to be with my '73SB. I read the two-part article in Corvette Fever (March and April 1996) about the '73 L48 buildup that produced 326hp. The nice thing about the buildup is that everything looks original. All the changes (pistons, cam, larger intake & exahaust valves, recurved distributor, etc.) are internal. The downside is that there are no gurantees of the outcome. With a previous project, I did a cam swap, minimal head work, distributor recurve, etc. (less than the CF L48 project) and the poor performance, component failures and subsequent rework were a disappointment. Also, for those familiar with current shop costs, is it even possible to do such a major buildup for the cost of a ZZ4?
Can't wait for summer!
Old 01-18-2003, 12:16 PM
SuperFast80
Race Director

Default Re: Buy ZZ4 or buildup L48? (ken welch)

Its all about budget. For the price of a ZZ4 (~5500 Canadian here) I could buy a smogger BB and rebuild to 500+ hp. However, if you are committed to doing a 400+ rebuild of your SB, you could get close to that number if you go for highest quality/price internals and accessories.

I would vote do it yourself BUT I know lots of ZZ4 owners who would tell you for the incremental cost, they are very happy with performance and reliability.
Old 01-18-2003, 12:29 PM
VetteNut72
Pro

Ken, IMHO you can't beet a ZZ4. With a new one-piece rear main seal four bolt roller cam block, all new parts and designed and built by the General you can't beat it. Steel crank, powdered metal rods, hyperu pistons just add more to the pudding. :yesnod:

Old 01-18-2003, 01:26 PM
QuickVet
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Buy ZZ4 or buildup L48? (VetteNut72)

Go for the zz4. Much better value. I have a built up L48 and would much rather have a new zz4. :yesnod:
Old 01-18-2003, 01:46 PM
Ryan77
Drifting

Default Re: Buy ZZ4 or buildup L48? (QuickVet)

I would get the Fastburn 385, it's just a ZZ4 with the fastburn heads. To that motor I would add the GM "hot cam" kit, which is a bigger cam and 1.6 roller rockers. With this combo GM says you can get 425hp@6000 rpm :cool: . It'll be about a $1,000 more than the ZZ4 including the "hot cam" kit, but it's also 70 more horsepower, which in my opinion is worth it :yesnod: :yesnod: . But, if you still want the ZZ4 they are still pretty good motors and I believe you can still add the "hot cam" kit to a regular ZZ4. I personally plan on buying a 470hp/465tq 383 from AR Racing for $3,500 (the same price as the ZZ4). They come complete from intake to oil pan with hypereutectic pistons, aluminum Edelbrock heads, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, and a 4 bolt main, for the price you can't beat these motors. Several guys here on the forum are using them, and several more have ordered one (like grandsportC3 and Tshort). Good luck with whatever you choose :cheers: Search the archives for "AR Racing" and you should come up with several threads and a link to the details on the motor.

[Modified by Ryan77, 1:49 PM 1/18/2003]
Old 01-18-2003, 03:18 PM
69stingray
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Buy ZZ4 or buildup L48? (Ryan77)

I would get the Fastburn 385, it's just a ZZ4 with the fastburn heads. To that motor I would add the GM "hot cam" kit, which is a bigger cam and 1.6 roller rockers. With this combo GM says you can get 425hp@6000 rpm :cool: .
What do you want from the engine? If this is going to be street driven engine where you spend most of your time below 4,000 RPM, you may like the ZZ4 better the Fastburn 385. Remember, torque is what puts your pants in the seat. If I recall, the ZZ4 has more torque then the 385. The 385 has very large cylinder heads the breath better in the upper RPM, giving it a better HP number.

In regards to building or buying, you can probably get close to the ZZ4 performance with less $ if you build. I don't have any catalogs here, but a basic engine rebuild kit, new cam, S/R Torque heads or 'Vette heads, Edelbrock performer intake will get you into the 400 lb. ft of torque where the ZZ4 is. You can paint to make it look orig. I bet you will came into below the ZZ4 price. Check out the Comp Cam website, they have dyno sheet. I think the 269 cam is around 412 lb. ft with S/R heads & performer intake.

The advantage of the ZZ4 is, all new parts, write one check and you have a complete engine, no driving to the machine shop or buying extra tools :( . Known performance. I haven't read anyone who dislikes it!

Tell us what you decide!
Old 01-18-2003, 04:37 PM
OHSIXX
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts
2021 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020
C2 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
St. Jude Donor 03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Default Re: Buy ZZ4 or buildup L48? (69stingray)

I had mine rebuilt locally and am very satisfied with the results. Also, ended up getting a lot of new accessories. Total cost was $5K with a 36/36 warranty.

I have had to go back twice with minor problems, but it runs just great for me. :)
Old 01-18-2003, 07:27 PM
Vetterodder
Safety Car

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Unless you are doing the RR and engine assembly yourself, there probably wouldn't be a big cost difference either way. If you only have to farm out the machine work and aren't paying labor for assembly, you shouild be able to rebuild your own engine to a comparable performance/reliability level for much less though. Most of my friends do their own building and several of them have built nice 383's and 406's for less than what a ZZ4 would have cost them. I also have friends with ZZ4's and they love them. If 355 hp (gross) meets your requirements, it's one sweet engine.

I wouldn't place a lot of value on the GM performance parts warranty as it only covers the parts themselves for 12/12. Throw a rod and they'll give you a new shortblock but labor is your responsibility. Personally, if I had doubts about ANY engine lasting 12/12, I wouldn't buy it anyway.
Old 01-19-2003, 12:01 PM
1971Ultra
Racer

Default Re: Buy ZZ4 or buildup L48? (Vetterodder)

What a great website I just found - a bunch of C3 owners talkin the stuff!

Anyhow, I chose to put the Fastburn engine in my car. I ordered it with the Hotcam kit which will push the engine to 430+hp. Not too sure what it will do to the torgue, if anything. I'll know more when I dyno test it. The engine alone cost me 5 grand but anticipate spending more.

Other things to consider.....

It does not come with a carb. It was recommended by several rodders to run it with a 750cfm Speed Demon. They all said it would the closest thing to fuel injection you'll get without it being fuel injected - hey its worth a try. $400 -$500

It comes equipped with an HEI distributor, so unless your vette is 1975/1976 or newer you cannot use the stock tachometer. I already had an MSD tach driven distributor. $150 - $200

It comes equipped with a long water pump. My vette used the the short pump. $75 - $100

It comes with a automatic trans flywheel. So if your running a manual trans you'll need to change the flywheel. $150 - $250

One thing I liked about this motor was the lower compression ratio (just in case I want to add a supercharger) and the aluminum heads. All of my work is taking place right now and it should be done by the end of the week. I am expecting the car to fly. I 'll let you know

One more thing and it almost goes without saying - you could spend a lot more or a lot less on a rebuild. Just know that there will always be something extra $$$$$$ needed or wanted.
Old 01-19-2003, 01:08 PM
Smokehouse69
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Default Re: Buy ZZ4 or buildup L48? (1971Ultra)

Welcome to the Forum, I just put a ZZ4 in my 69 and faced all the same things you did, with slightly less cost. It still ran close to $1000 over the cost of the engine itself.
Since I did the swap, I found a near by shop that is selling complete engines with a warranty built to your specifications for about 2/3rds the cost of a new ZZ4. I could have got what is basically ZZ430 clone with a 2 year 24,000 mile warranty for $3000.00, this is a complete engine, including carb, flywheel, short Stewart hi-flow waterpump, and Comp XE282RS roller cam and 1.6 roller rockers. The same engine as a 383 stroker and higher flowing heads was $3700.00!
I sort of wish I'd looked around a little bit more before I jumped in and ordered the ZZ4. Don't get me wrong, the ZZ-4 is a great engine, and if you want a "Brand New" motor, then go for it, but there are other good alternatives out there if you look around a little bit.
This was not from a fly-by-night shop, but a business that has been around for many years and supply rebuilt motors to shops all over Tx, La, Ok and Ar.

Get notified of new replies

To Buy ZZ4 or buildup L48?

Quick Reply: Buy ZZ4 or buildup L48?