C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine advice/help with my '81

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2003, 11:09 AM
MidShark
Melting Slicks

Received 275 Likes on 143 Posts

Default Engine advice/help with my '81

Trying to de-Bubbafy my '81. He had a hi-rise+adaptor (hood would not come close to closing), wiring harnesses to carb, etc. not hooked up. Smog pump not on, but I doubt I would re-install it.
I have pulled the intake (Edelbrock) and discovered at least part of the reason why it didn't run good. The head surfaces were not cleaned well at all and couldn't have been properly sealing. I (supposedly) got all of the original parts with the car, but the other intake I got is a 14057053. I don't think this is the "right" one, but I don't have any references to tell me what it is. Can someone tell me what this is? The other thing is, it is missing the heat/splash shield. Will this affect it's operation?
The other question I have is this- I am not too adept at tuning carbs, and the '81 with it's computer controls intimidates me. I've had one suggestion already to replace the original carb and HEI distributor and go with non computor controlled units. I have a dist. with a vac. advance, but would have to find another carb. Would this be a much better way to go? Or at least easier?
Thanks in advance! :)
Old 01-18-2003, 11:25 AM
Ganey
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Re: Engine advice/help with my '81 (MidShark)

While I prefer the non-computer controlled, it is debateable. You should probably install what you have. The main issue w/ the computer controlled carb is the mixture control solenoid. If your mixture solenoid is working, you may be fine. You may not need the shield in MI. An aftermarket is available from Moroso & that is what I use for Perf. w/ aftermarket manifolds like Edelbrock.

:cool:

Quick Reply: Engine advice/help with my '81