C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need a compressor and air tools suggestion

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2003, 04:35 PM
Chris@VetteFinders
Platinum Supporting Dealership

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Need a compressor and air tools suggestion

Hey guys. I need to buy a compressor and air tools. What size and hp should I buy? I had seen some kits that come with the compressor and a bunch of air tools a few months ago. I need these for working on cars/trucks, etc.

Thanks!
Old 01-17-2003, 04:41 PM
Gator81
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Need a compressor and air tools suggestion (Chris@VetteFinders)

Hi, Chris,
I started a thread on this a couple of weeks ago, got a lot of good info, though probably not everything you need to know. Check this thread:
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/zerothread?id=463583

Good luck! :seeya
Old 01-17-2003, 08:34 PM
C3 Shark Tank
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Need a compressor and air tools suggestion (Gator81)

I have a 30 gallon with 5hp I believe, so far it's been fine for using an impact wrench and the standard 3/8 & 1/4 drives, but the die-grinder just kills this thing. Can't complain as I got it free :D If I had to buy one I'd get the stand up model, fit's neatly in a corner out of the way and it's easier to drain and you can get a nice big one. Must haves are; plenty of hose, fittings for filling tires & toys, impact wrench/sockets, 1/4 inch drive wrench, 3/8 inch drive wrench, die-grinder.
Old 01-17-2003, 08:44 PM
page62
Le Mans Master

I just spent an afternoon looking for the best buy on a compressor & tools. I ended up buying a 5 HP, 20 gallon DeVilbiss compressor from Lowes for $199. They also had a box of air tools (impact wrench, air ratchet, air hammer, rotary tool, and lots of bits) for $79. I am very, very happy! I've already had 2 opportunities to put 'em to good use. The tools are cheap, but if I keep 'em oiled they'll last a long time.

One word of advice: I went for the DeVilbiss because it has a traditional piston-type compressor with a big GE electric motor. I forget the term for the other type of compressor, but you'll know it when you see it (you can't see a motor) -- they tend to be very "buzzy."
Old 01-17-2003, 09:20 PM
bigvette1
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Re: Need a compressor and air tools suggestion (page62)

Sounds like a good buy. Now add a filter for water and you are all set.

Tools - uyou can spend a fortune on the best ones, but for light usage your's sound great. Here is another source of tools, Harbor Freight. They have a good selection and they work fine and stand up to abuse.

Their address is http://www.harborfreight.com/
Old 01-18-2003, 12:31 AM
WA 2 FST
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 556 Likes on 359 Posts

It's true that you can spend a fortune in tools. Back when I first got into the hobby of doing my own work about 12 years ago, I bought a bunch of Craftsman tools, including a 10gal/5hp compressor and air ratchets, etc.

This is decent stuff, but really bottom-of-the-line if you're talking tools. Nothing really wrong with any of it as its all suited my purposes very well. I mean, I'm working on one car at a time, and I'm not going so fast I need the reserve of a huge compressor...although that would be nice (especially with the above-mentioned die-grinder).

However, just a word ... you do get what you pay for. My Craftsman air ratchet is rated at the same TQ as my buddy's Ingersol-Rand one. Guess which one it took to get the harmonic balancer bolt off, and then the harmonic balancer puller? The Craftsman wouldn't budge them. The IR did it with ease. Funny thing is that the IR one only cost ~$40 more than the Craftsman one, but when you're buying a lot of stuff $40 here and there adds up.

Just my $.02

Have fun! :)
Old 01-18-2003, 09:57 AM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

Default Re: Need a compressor and air tools suggestion (WA 2 FST)

WA2 is 110% right, don't bother spending money on cheap tools...most of them are crap...IMO......buy used Snap or IR at a hock shop that deals heavy in tools.....most you shluld pay for an IR 1/2 impact is 80 bux, I also have a 1/4 inch Snap-On air ratchet....that little thing is the most useful tool there is...spins quick, takes abuse...good for tight places....tight places??? nah, non of those on a vette??? is there??? my 3/8 Snap impact is also used more than the IR....my IR is used for lug nuts more than anything else...
OH on sockets...mostly chrome Sears....store next door to me....
the impacts are all deep well ....find regualr depth to be not needed for impact work....just the way it is....
I spray my 1/4 drive sockets with orange paint for the english size....leave the metrics chrome....and keep them in magnetic/plastic holders all in a row....that way I can tell at a glance what is what when cleaning up....

I spray my 3/8 metric deep wells black....same reason...easy clean up....

I do my 1/2 deep well sockets the same idea....they are all impacts...but I color code a few of them....again easy id in the rack and cleanup.....
I only have one Snap top box, ;got on a deal, sits on a steel cart....
large/heavy stuff underneath on shelf....
I also unabashedly write on the drawers front what is in the drawers..more or less.....1/2 on bottom large drawer...OE/crescent wrenches in back...
3/8 in middle drawer, 1/4 on to drawer....small drawers marked things like CUT, meaning knives, snips, razors, diagonal cutters...etc....PLIARS....every type,....SCREWDRIVERS....any that fit.....you get the idea.....odd tools to the top left, tape to the top right....verty top of the box is the electronic test gear....voltmeters, scopes, wires, etc....

it looks like a madhouse, but in fact there is easy to follow rhyme to the madness......I find doing a job is SO much easier just for find the damn tools to do it with.....looking for sh it scattered all over the place is NO fun....
not that I"m a NEAT bug or anythig, just ask my wife....or look at my workbench not cleaned in YEARS,....but when it's tools, expensive needed TOOLS, yeh, NOW time to pay attention....

GENE
Old 01-18-2003, 08:18 PM
Chris@VetteFinders
Platinum Supporting Dealership

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Need a compressor and air tools suggestion (mrvette)

What is the difference between a one and two stage compressor? Besides $900??
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=62066
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=32357
Old 01-18-2003, 09:30 PM
Nomad78SA
Drifting

Chris, This is what I use and I am very happy with it. Done all the work including sandblasting the frame with it. Bought some cheap air tools to start and slowly bought quality items as I really needed them.
Neil in Tenn

6.5 Peak HP , 60 Gallon ASME Vertical tank, Twin cylinder cast iron oil lubricated. 125 psi max with a 10.3 rate at 90psi. 230 volt. My model # is a VT6310 which is a few years old now. A VT6195 is the same style today.

http://www.chpower.com/catalog/catalog_list.asp

[Modified by Nomad78SA, 8:34 PM 1/18/2003]
Old 01-18-2003, 09:42 PM
Flareside
Safety Car

What is the difference between a one and two stage compressor? Besides $900??
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=62066
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=32357
In home garage type compressors, two stages will generate at least 175 PSI, whereas a single stage usually tops out around 130-140. The pressure is useful for that stock bolt that just won't come loose at 120 psi! :thumbs:

Higher pressure in the tank will also allow your tools to run longer before the tank drains, since you usually run them at significantly less than the pressure in a 2 stage tank.
Old 01-18-2003, 09:58 PM
RJR99SS
Le Mans Master

well i'm a professional mechanic, and i ONLY use craftsman air tools. I've had the same craftsman 1/2" impact gun for about 8 years now....and hasnt even gotten weaker. the one thing i really appriciate about craftsman air tools is that they are QUIET! That really makes a diffence when you have to use the things all day. The guy next to me uses a mac impact....it sounds like a m-60 is going off every time he uses it.

But...You have to oil your air tools if you want them to last, which is something a lot of people neglect to do for some reason. Snap on, mac, etc.... all have real quality tools for about 3-4 times the price of craftsman, and i really can't tell the difference in terms of quality. Snap on and them always have odd special features, like adjustable exhaust and such....but they dont really warrant an extra $200 in my opinion. Plus....try dealing with snap on when one of them breaks....boy thats an adventure....

But as to what to get, a 1/2 impact and a 3/8 ratchet are essential. Air chisel, grinder, 1/4 ratchet would be next in line. A good set of impact sockets as well.
Old 01-18-2003, 10:08 PM
Hitch
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 109 Posts

Default Re: Need a compressor and air tools suggestion (Flareside)

Funny thing I was just looking in Northern today and they have a two stage with seperate compressor/motor assy. 60 gal upright tank 5hp motor 230vac. 1/2 ratchet for 399.99. Check em out.. Dave.

Get notified of new replies

To Need a compressor and air tools suggestion

Quick Reply: Need a compressor and air tools suggestion