C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Transmission (auto)

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2003, 04:11 PM
77Dream
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default New Transmission (auto)

I'm trying to find prices on a new transmission for my 77auto and I cant seem to find any good websites. Any links would be helpfull.

I seem to have lost 4th gear :( and have problems shifting between the others. I want to price compare and see if the cost of a new one will better than a rebuild. I'm sure that rebuild would be cheaper but a new tranny might be better in the long run.

Thanks,
Chris
Old 01-17-2003, 04:54 PM
terryrudy
Drifting

Default Re: New Transmission (77Dream)

Your 77 has only 3 speeds. :) A new TH350 for it would be pretty inexpensive. Just go to any transmission shop they can give you prices. If you want to upgrade to a 4-speed automatic, then you would want to look into the 200-4r or the 700r-4 transmissions which both aren't terribly difficult to bolt in but will cost you a good amount more ($1500 roundabouts) when all is said and done.
-terry

[Modified by terryrudy, 1:55 PM 1/17/2003]
Old 01-17-2003, 05:20 PM
77Dream
Drifting

Default Re: New Transmission (terryrudy)

Thanks for the info,

I know that the tranny is not the original and when I count it going through the gears there is 3, but when It gets to about 50 to 60 (depending on how fast im excelerating) it trys to kick into 4th. The car starts jerking back and forth, in and out of 3rd gear, but never makes it to 4th, and not going any faster.

I dont know what model is in my car right now but I'm looking for a 4-speed that will run real good with my car. You mentioned the 200-4r and the 700r-4, wich one would you recommend for me?

I would like to get as much info from corvette owners as possible so I can understand better when i'm talking to the guys at the shop. You never know if they are telling the whole truth or not.
Old 01-17-2003, 05:25 PM
page62
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: New Transmission (terryrudy)

:withstupid: What does your car have now? :confused: When I first bought my car, I always expected it to shift up one more gear . . . but it didn't have one!

If you want to upgrade to a nicely-built overdrive, you could try Bowtie Overdrives. Or if you can find a good, honest transmission shop (I just found one in San Antonio, by the way), you could attempt to have whatever's in your car repaired.

Personally, I'd recommend an overdrive in any case. They are a wonderful upgrade . . . and you're gonna have to spend the money anyway!
Old 01-17-2003, 06:00 PM
NHvette
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Default Re: New Transmission (page62)

The easiest and cheapest way is to replace it with the same type.
If you're sure you had 4 gears before - then you should put her up on some
jack stands and slide under for a look. The trannys can be identified by the
shape of the tranny oil pan.

Going from the TH350 to an OD tranny will require mods and be $$$ if you
don't do it yourself.

Good luck. :seeya

Get notified of new replies

To New Transmission (auto)

Quick Reply: New Transmission (auto)