C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What size sway bars?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2003, 12:25 PM
cheese
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default What size sway bars?

I'm in the process of installing 460/330 spring combo. I'm running 17" TT2 wheels with 255/50 B.F.G Z rated tires. Should I use stock front sway bar & 5/8" rear sway bar or 11/8" front bar & 3/4" rear bar. I do not do autocross but still want my vette to handle the curves of East Tenn. mntns. without putting me unexpectalby in a ditch. Comments please. :eek:
Old 01-17-2003, 01:17 PM
72GACRZR
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Default Re: What size sway bars? (cheese)

I don't know, but this past thread might help and if you do a search in the archives, you can find many more on the subject
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/zerothread?id=358501

hope it helps a little :seeya
Old 01-17-2003, 02:39 PM
zwede
Race Director

Received 333 Likes on 255 Posts

I think both your combos will be oversteered. Recommend 1 1/8" front and no more than 5/8" rear.
Old 01-17-2003, 05:02 PM
terryrudy
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This has been the subject of much debate in the past. I think its really dependent on what you are comfortable with. I have the 1 & 1/8 in the front and originally put the 3/4 in the rear. Felt very uncomfortable on the road. Bought the 5/8 and that was better. Took off the rear bar completely and was happiest of all. :) In my observation, adding the 17" Z-rated tires made the rear sway bar less necessary, but this is all subjective as I don't know anything really except how it feels when I drive it.
-terry

[Modified by terryrudy, 2:03 PM 1/17/2003]
Old 01-17-2003, 06:47 PM
Jason Staley
Melting Slicks

Received 145 Likes on 88 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran

Default Re: What size sway bars? (terryrudy)

I agree with terryrudy. I use to have 1 1/8" frt & 3/4" rear sway bars. The car was uncomfortable, unpredictable, and had a lot of oversteer. These bars were just TOO stiff my roads in Indiana. Like terryrudy, I am now not using any rear sway bar and I am only using a 1" front sway bar. I find this setup with 17" wheels to produce a comfortable ride with a fairly balanced car that is pretty easy to read when it is about to go beyond its limits and swap ends on me (which I managed to do several times with the larger sway bars). The larger sway bars will corner flatter, but that doesn't necessarily mean the car will perform better. Regretfully, suspensions are trial and error, but I'd first get a larger front sway bar and tires, then see if you have understeer. If you have too much understeer, then I'd think about adding a rear sway bar. Hope this helps. :cheers:

Get notified of new replies

To What size sway bars?

Quick Reply: What size sway bars?