C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission shop in Dallas area ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2003, 10:38 AM
Porch40
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Transmission shop in Dallas area ?

Hello,
could anyone recommend a transmission shop in the Dallas area ? I'd like to get the rear main seal replaced & the speedometer driveshaft gear changed to correct the speedo reading.

Also, same thing with an exhaust shop. The few I've talked to won't touch my car beacause it has headers. I'd like to get the entire system replaced. For both I'd like a shop with plenty of vette experience. It would be GREAT to do it myself but I just don't have the tools.

GREAT forum here!

Thanks for your help,
Scott :cheers:
Old 01-17-2003, 03:32 PM
page62
Le Mans Master

Default Re: Transmission shop in Dallas area ? (Porch40)

Sorry, I can't help you up there. I know a great tranny shop in San Antonio, though.

The exhaust shops won't touch a '74 with headers? I forget if that year originally had a catalytic converter or not. If it did, you're going to have to leave the DFW "smog control zone" to find someone who'll do the work.

If you don't get a response with a "real" answer soon, try the Southwest regional forum...
Old 01-17-2003, 03:36 PM
zwede
Race Director

Received 333 Likes on 255 Posts

Nicks muffler in Plano does great work. A little on the expensive side, but you won't be disappointed with the results.
Old 01-17-2003, 04:00 PM
Porch40
Instructor

Thank you very much for the replies!

74 was the last year before the converters. My current setup is a pair of blackjack headers. They've been on there a while. The manifold bolts look like they've been holding down something on the Titanic. When I described them, their shoehorn fit next to the bigblock, and that the engine was original the shop manager said ..hmm..NO.. I'd be afraid of breaking something...
Old 01-17-2003, 08:50 PM
page62
Le Mans Master

Wimps. :leaving:

Around here, we have lots of places with names like "Martinez Muffler Shop" and "Flores Muffler Shop." They don't speak very much English too good, but they KNOW how to do exhaust -- quick and cheap. I had a custom H-pipe installed in under 30 minutes for 30 bucks :yesnod:

In San Antonio, most of these shops are on the South Side and West Side. Anything like that in DFW?

Get notified of new replies

To Transmission shop in Dallas area ?

Quick Reply: Transmission shop in Dallas area ?