C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cold Starting

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2003, 09:53 AM
Bob Fisher
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cold Starting

My '76 L48 always needs a good cranking to start after being left for more than a couple of days. is this normal? or could it be the hydraulic lifters not working until oil pressure has built up, or evaporated fuel needing to be replaced? or a combination of both??
Oil pressure is very good for an 80,000 mile plus engine.
Bob
Old 01-17-2003, 10:03 AM
Eddie 70
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts
Ci 6, 8 & 10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Default Re: Cold Starting (Bob Fisher)

Sounds like your carb may be leaking down. A lot of people experience this, I did too. After the rebuild no more problems. Maybe someone else will chime in and second me.
Old 01-17-2003, 10:14 AM
gmcclurg
Racer

I have to pump the pedal quite a bit before cranking, on my 77, if it sits for awhile. Not like a fuel injected "modern" car.
Old 01-17-2003, 10:18 AM
Smokehouse69
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Default Re: Cold Starting (Eddie 70)

I agree with Eddie, it is probably from the fuel draining back out of the carb or the Q-jet fuel bowls leaking from the bottom plugs. A lot of people seal these plugs over with JB Weld when they rebuild the carb.
Old 01-17-2003, 12:24 PM
Binnie77
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I too experience the same problem. I have a carburetor rebuilt by Lars so I am discounting that as the culprit. Lars suggested that I replace the fuel pump and did replace it with a new GM pump but the problem did not go away. One of the things to check is to make sure your fuel filter in the carb has the check valve built in to avoid fuel siphoning back out of the carb.
Old 01-17-2003, 01:09 PM
Stewart's74
Safety Car

Received 42 Likes on 21 Posts

Default Re: Cold Starting (Binnie77)

I had a similar problem and it WAS the Accelerator pump in the carb. Turns out it wasnt compatible with the alcohol in modern fuels.
With that fixed it cranks right up, even in below freezing weather.
Old 01-17-2003, 04:09 PM
Jvette73
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Cold Starting (Stewart's74)

Even with a good carb, a cold start will be much faster if you give it 5 full throttle pumps and wait a few seconds befor cranking it. This lets the gas soak down into the engine a bit. But like the others have said, if the carb is leaking down then you would first need to crank untill the fuel pump fills the carb back up.
Old 01-17-2003, 07:58 PM
Rich80
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

My crank time is around 5 seconds when shes been sitting for a week. I pump the gas pedal 3 or 4 times let it sit for 10 seconds then turn the key... :cheers:
Old 01-18-2003, 03:42 PM
Makonut
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

I pump the gas about 8 times on my 70 and it fires right up. Not bad considering I haven`t found a choke rod yet so it starts with no choke.
Old 01-18-2003, 07:56 PM
LiveandLetDrive
Melting Slicks

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Default Re: Cold Starting (Makonut)

A pump of the gas or two and mine usually fires right up. Takes a little more throttle input to KEEP it going though!

-CHris
Old 01-19-2003, 11:41 AM
73 LS-4
Melting Slicks

Lars, rebuilt mine last year. I don't even have to pump the gas I just tap the accelerator enough to hear the choke click closed and turn the key for about 4 seconds and she springs to life, normally dies once after about another 5 seconds of running if it's been sitting for more then a week probably becouse of evaporation out of the bowl but then starts immediatly afterwards and no probs. If it's been run in the last couple of days it stays running no problem. I put a new 110gph fuel pump on it last year and it's dying after starting after it set for a few weeks is less common then it was, but as I said it will only die once if it does and only if it sat for a long time, One of the best starting carbs I've been around. Now cold driveabilty is a little different story, it does have to warm up a bit before it's pleasant to drive (no heat crossover).

:cheers:
Pat Kunz
Old 01-19-2003, 11:52 AM
SanDiegoPaul
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Cold Starting (RUXperienced)

A pump of the gas or two and mine usually fires right up

That worked fine on the OEM 350 (which I'm trying to sell BTW) and Rochester Q-Jet. The new stroker however, with an Edlebrock Q-Jet seems a bit more tempermental :mad and I'm glad I don't live in a cold climate.

I need to pump it a couple of times and crank longer than I would like to get it fired up. Once it is running though it stays going and the choke does in fact work fine. I'm thinking this carb is not quite perfect.

Get notified of new replies

To Cold Starting

Quick Reply: Cold Starting