C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

replacment radiator ????

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2003, 11:54 PM
gravismaximus
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default replacment radiator ????

i got done putting in the 6 speed, and when i fired it up after taking ot off from the jack stands, i headr a nose, which i quickly found as being the inspection cover hitting the crank, however i didnt hear the sound of my electric fan turing on and cutting into my radiator, NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO :banghead: what happened was the rubber keeper fell out of place when i lowered the car off from the stands, because i took out the a/c so out came the condensier last winter, so the radiator was sorda loose. but know that i start it i get a mist of antifreeze thrown when it hits the fan, so im 90% sure that it really has riped a hole in it. i do know that i dont want to pay 500 for a new aluminum one, althogh of corse there better, but is there anywhere i can get the normal one, reman ???? please help :cry
Old 01-17-2003, 04:18 PM
gravismaximus
Racer

Default Re: replacment radiator ???? (gravismaximus)

i see people are looking at my tread, but no ones anwering my question, please somone help :grouphug:
Old 01-17-2003, 04:29 PM
77Dream
Drifting

I would just take it to any local radiator shop and have them pressure test it. They will find the leak(s) and repair it. While it is out I would also have the acid wash it to get all the gunk and grime that may be in there. Its usually not expensive to have them do this. I think it cost me about $100 on my 90 Firebird, and that was with replacing both side tanks.

Hope that helps,
Chris
Old 01-18-2003, 04:15 AM
jackson
Le Mans Master

Received 628 Likes on 556 Posts

Randall:
See CF thread below. As a mechanic, fitting a universal aluminum radiator shouldn’t be too bad. See speedway motors pn 917347-31 price $170. Also search for my other posts referencing Northern brand Al radiators (aka speedway, aka summit). BTW, I'm all for fixing/repairing ... but sometimes a new one's benefits become apparent only in hindsight.
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/zerothread?id=466834

PS/edit ... my Modine book shows industry number 717 for direct-fit OE replacement-type brass-copper rad with 3 row core for 81 vette. A #717 can be found at local/regional wholesalers for under $150 new. When I last checked in June 2002, Charlotte NC's Carolinas Auto Supply House wholesaled new #717 for $116. Check your local/regional wholesale supplier of NEW crash parts/body panels ... many sell OE rads too.

[Modified by jackson, 4:38 AM 1/18/2003]

Get notified of new replies

To replacment radiator ????

Quick Reply: replacment radiator ????