C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

anti-theft/distributor

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2003, 10:52 PM
jetech
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default anti-theft/distributor

Has anyone disconnected the fender anti-theft and wired it in series with the distributor. I am thinking about putting two switches in series on the pink wire that runs to the distributor capacitor. One switch would be mounted under the dash and would be normally closed. The other switch would be the fender switch which could be opened when leaving the vehicle to open the distributor circuit. The under dash switch could be a extra back up that you would open if the car is parked in a area where it is more likely to be stolen. What do you think? :skep:
Old 01-17-2003, 12:15 AM
MN-Brent
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: anti-theft/distributor (jetech)

You would cut out the power to the ignition coil. Sounds cool to me. As long as the reconnection is solid so you dont have to worry about intermittant connections from bumps, etc..

I definitely need to come up with an anti-theft set-up like this after reading the theft stories lately. It can happen to anyone.

Brent...
Old 01-17-2003, 12:20 AM
74FLCONV
Melting Slicks

Default Re: anti-theft/distributor (MN-Brent)

I use a hidden "60 sec." kill switch in combination with a locking shifter (auto) and a re-wire of the seats which won't allow the vehicle to start unless passenger side is buckled. Confuses the hell out of me if I haven't driven the car in awhile...imagine what it will do to a thief!

Also, at $600, Lo-Jack (if available in your area) is a very good investment. You'll have your car back within hours of reporting it stolen.

D. Ocean
Miami, FLA
Old 01-17-2003, 01:06 PM
clem zahrobsky
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran

if you have a points distributor just run a wire from the - side of the coil thru a switch to ground. with the - side of the coil grounded the car will not start. i have found a push on/push off switch under the carpet that you can push with your foot or hand works great. even if they put a jumper from the + side of the coil to +12 volts the car will not start.:chevy

[Modified by clem zahrobsky, 1:09 PM 1/17/2003]
Old 01-17-2003, 05:21 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

You can buy a 30 amp toggle (ignition kill) switch to achieve the same purpose without disturbing the alarm system. Much simpler. The starter will spin but no ignition.
Old 01-17-2003, 06:53 PM
Oldguard 7
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Re: anti-theft/distributor (74FLCONV)

Will you send me some information on your set up? Wiring diagrams? Anything will do. Email address is oldguard7@hotmail.com
Old 01-17-2003, 08:59 PM
Ghostrider
Pro

Dan, you may not have the best taste in car colors, but you sure as hell seem to have a very ingenious car security system.
Does that passenger series seat belt thing have to be wired in series with a passenger seat belt (with switch/contact similar to driver side seat belt) and BOTH are wired to energize the starter as a lockout of the big purple wire (of the automatic tranny parking in the console (1980’s) to prevent a car start., and/or is the 60 sec time delay relay wired in series to allow de-energize the distributor? It seems to me that you also wired a time delay lockout relay in the High tension wire of the distributor. Please explain. I am very interested in you wiring instructions or diagram.
Old 01-17-2003, 09:48 PM
74FLCONV
Melting Slicks

Default Re: anti-theft/distributor (Ghostrider)

Dan, you may not have the best taste in car colors, but you sure as hell seem to have a very ingenious car security system.
I didn't CHOOSE brown. It chose me. My plan was to have the car stripped & painted silver (w/silver interior) until I discovered the price of a quality paint job...brown is now my FAVORITE color!

Does that passenger series seat belt thing have to be wired in series with a passenger seat belt (with switch/contact similar to driver side seat belt) and BOTH are wired to energize the starter as a lockout of the big purple wire (of the automatic tranny parking in the console (1980’s) to prevent a car start., and/or is the 60 sec time delay relay wired in series to allow de-energize the distributor? It seems to me that you also wired a time delay lockout relay in the High tension wire of the distributor. Please explain. I am very interested in you wiring instructions or diagram.
I'm not sure of the details on the seatbelt saftey no-start feature. It is stock on '74 (one year only?). The idea is the car won't start unless seatbelts are fastened (if someone is seated). The "anti-theft" feature came into play when I swapped driver & passenger seats...the system "malfunctioned" and wouldn't let me start the car unless the passenger seatbelt was clicked and I raised my **** off the (driver's) seat. I was about to un-plug the connectors under the seats when a lightbulb went off in my head. Why not leave it this way? After I start the car, I un-click the passenger seatbelt. Now, if I happen to get car-jacked (and assuming I can keep my cool), I will turn off or stall the car. While the "jacker" is trying to start it I'll be reaching for my .38 S&W. By the time he figures out the "pre-flight procedure" for re-starting, I'll have made a nice bullet hole smiley face :) in his head.

I would suggest studying a '74 wiring diagram to learn how the seatbelt thing works. I never bothered to trace the wires.

As to the 60 sec. delay device, I found an old item on E-Stink that is described as a little black box with two switches and two leads (Manufacturer is "GardACar"). The leads go in-line with the positive side of the distributor/coil wire (or any other wire that energizes the ignition). The box is well-hidden under the dash. With the switch in the "on" position, the car will run for 60 seconds and then stall...no re-start allowed. If you push the red button, the car will start and stay running. In the "off" position, the car will run as normal.

I figure a common thief/joyrider will give up shortly after trying to start the car. Someone slightly more sophisticated would probably just jumper the coil (I'm working on a lock for the hood so they can't access the ignition wires). A professional will just flat-bed it away.

The locking shifter **** and Lo-Jack are the final phase of theft-deterrence. If they can get the car after all this, they can keep it!

Best regards,

D. Ocean
Miami, FLA

[Modified by 74FLCONV, 9:50 PM 1/17/2003]
Old 01-19-2003, 01:46 PM
Ghostrider
Pro

74FLCONV
I couldn’t find ‘E-stink” or “GardAcar” on the web, but I understand your setup.
I could use your idea of a passenger seat belt switch AND passenger seatbelt switch (open contacts, when belts are not engaged) as an automatic kill switch, that is wired again in series with the (fat purple wire) out-of-park wire in the console (that opens, to simulate driving and which disables any engine start) for my ‘80 C3 with 700R4 automatic tranny. I just wouldn’t allow any start, whereas a time-delay relay to cut power to the distributor would allow a start with subseqent shutdown after they got it going. Thanks again for the info! Hope that your car doesn't get stolen.
Old 01-19-2003, 04:34 PM
74FLCONV
Melting Slicks

Default Re: anti-theft/distributor (Ghostrider)

E-Stink = E-Bay

GardACar is probably long gone, as the box I purchased appears as if it's from the 70's.

Good luck,

D. Ocean
Miami, FLA

Get notified of new replies

To anti-theft/distributor

Quick Reply: anti-theft/distributor