C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

To Supercharge, or not to SuperCharge?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2003, 09:47 PM
9SecVette
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default To Supercharge, or not to SuperCharge?

How much would it cost to superCharge a C3? And if its a reasonable price is it worth it in the long run or should i keep it just the way it is?
Old 01-16-2003, 09:54 PM
GWilliam
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: To Supercharge, or not to SuperCharge? (9SecVette)

About the same as it'd cost to supercharge any car.

2-3 thousand if you do it all yourself otherwise double that.
Old 01-17-2003, 09:11 AM
0Mike69@ECS
Former Vendor

Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

Default Re: To Supercharge, or not to SuperCharge? (GWilliam)

Depends on what you want and how fast you want to go really.

If you want a roots style blower to stick through the hood you can bolt one on relatively cheap, provided your bottom end is set up for it.

Centrufrugal SC's on a c3 will require fairly extensive fabrication of the plumbing & brackets to make it all fit under the hood. Vortec makes a nice kit for the Chey SB, but making fit under the stock vette hood is going to take some work. I have some of the info on this set up on my bench @ the shop right now & it looks as though brackets & plumbing will have to be customized quite a bit. Definately not impossible... but count on alot of creative thinking. :yesnod:

I'm currently looking at building a Blown (roots style) 406 from the ground up. If I do it, I'm going to go from the ground up... and I'm looking at spending more than 10k on the motor. And thats at my cost!!! Then I'm going to have to rework much of the drivetrain to make sure it's going to handle the power.

How much it will cost you really depends on what you want to do with the car. Count on 3-7 as a baseline. You will get plenty of bang for your buck for that kind of $$$. If you want to go big plan on spending big $$$ to do it right. Donbt cut corners when doing a SC.... replacing pistons, rods & cranks can get expensive!!!! :lol:
Old 01-17-2003, 10:39 AM
Fevre
Race Director

Default Re: To Supercharge, or not to SuperCharge? (Mike69)

Can't believe there is not kit for a supercharged c-3. Once you get rid of that god awfull shroud and clutch fan, there is a ton of room op front. Slap on a tpi like system and a reverse flow supercharger and you got a nice a hell of fun ride. Sounds like something I need waste some more $ on. :D
Old 01-17-2003, 11:34 AM
flood
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: To Supercharge, or not to SuperCharge? (Fevre)

Why not turbo charge?

You could possibly use the parts off a Duntov Turbo corvette to make the swap. I think someone on here had or has a duntov turbo that doesn't have a turbo anymore. I was thinking if it would be possible to use the exhaust manifold and an airbox from one and fit it to any Vette.

Turbos are much more efficent than a supercharger. If your vette already has "off the line torque" I would go for a turbo. Superchargers draw too much HP from the engine. Granted you still get added performance but a turbo can do it with less HP robbed from the engine.

Ah, the age old debate. turbo vs. supercharger.

Just a thought. :cheers:
Old 01-17-2003, 11:51 AM
Fevre
Race Director

Default Re: To Supercharge, or not to SuperCharge? (flood)

I guess i am just not a big fan of the plumbing involved. Monty's looks great but that is way overboard for me. Custom make a bracket and you got a supercharger in there with very little work.
Old 01-17-2003, 12:17 PM
Fevre
Race Director

Default Re: To Supercharge, or not to SuperCharge? (Fevre)

Here's one for ya:

http://www.thirdgen.org/techbb2/atta...postid=1090804

Have not idea what is going on and how well it works but would probably fit under the vette hood.
Old 01-17-2003, 01:39 PM
CDaniel525
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: To Supercharge, or not to SuperCharge? (Mike69)

damn mike.....sounds like ECS is paying you way toooo much... LoL :seeya
Ill be down at school next week and if it stops snowing soon ill bring the vette down and take ride out your way.

9secVette...like Mike said...i checked into the centrifugal blowers and your gonna have to do a lot of modifying of the brackets, if not making your own, and youll definitely have to have custom made pipes. Also count on a new holley carb special for forced induction, better fuel system, etc

Get notified of new replies

To To Supercharge, or not to SuperCharge?

Quick Reply: To Supercharge, or not to SuperCharge?