C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How much work for body mouont brackets and radiator supports on a '69??

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2003, 05:54 PM
RCB69L36
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How much work for body mouont brackets and radiator supports on a '69??

Just curious to know what's entailed with replacing the body mount brackets and radiator core supports on a 69. Is this a do-it-yourself project or something that should be handled by a professional. If it's a do-it-yourself, how much time and effort.

Thanks.
Old 01-16-2003, 06:40 PM
sb69coupe
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: How much work for body mouont brackets and radiator supports on a '69?? (rbasting)

I can't help with the body mount question, but I'm in the middle of the radiator support replacement myself. It's a fairly easy task. Remove the hood, then the upper and lowerradiator hoses. Remove the lower fan shroud extension if you have one. Unbolt the 2 bolts that go up into the core support from the front crossmember below. Then go into the front wheelwell on each side and remove the 3 bolts that go through the inner fender and into the sides of the core support. Then lift it forward and up to get it out. I left the radiator and shroud installed on the support and had no problems removing it by myself. I didn't even have to remove the fan to get everything out.

Shannon
Old 01-16-2003, 06:54 PM
RCB69L36
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: How much work for body mouont brackets and radiator supports on a '69?? (sb69coupe)

Hmm, thanks for the info. For some reason it sounded like a much more involved project, with the possibility of shifting fiberglass, etc.

Did you have to buy a new radiator? New supports? I think I may just need supports, but I haven't priced 'em yet.

:cheers:
Old 01-16-2003, 07:04 PM
sb69coupe
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: How much work for body mouont brackets and radiator supports on a '69?? (rbasting)

As long as you leave the removable front crossmember in place, there's really not much opportunity for the front end to droop with the core support out. The front bumper support mounts to the front crossmember and will keep the nose from drooping.

You should be able to check the condition of the core support with the hood open by looking down at the bottom "rail" in front of the radiator core itself. If it's the original one for the car, expect to see some corrosion and rust through. Replacements are available and run about $300 or so. Make sure you get new seals for both the radiator core to support and the shroud-to-radiator as well. I replaced the support only, since I have a relatively new radiator.

Here's a pic of the core support from the Zip catalog

Shannon

[Modified by sb69coupe, 7:09 PM 1/16/2003]

Get notified of new replies

To How much work for body mouont brackets and radiator supports on a '69??

Quick Reply: How much work for body mouont brackets and radiator supports on a '69??