C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1969 suspension rebuil/new member long

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2003, 01:07 PM
redaddiction
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1969 suspension rebuil/new member long

Hey i'm new here i have a 1969 Corvette with t-tops and 350/350 i will get pics as soon as possible it needs to be rebuilt. I got this Vette when i was 15 for my first project and it does need a little work so i had it running but it doesn't have the original motor. My little brother was in a jet skiing accident and i now want to build it in his honor since he most likely will never get to drive I'm wanting to start with the chassis I want to rebuild and upgrade the front and rear suspension so my question is what should i replace where should i get it have ecklers and mid america's catalogs i want this to be a street car and will retain a small block but will be upgraded with ls1 and t56 trans so i need help with the suspension ride quality doesnt' matter just want it to handle.

thanks

marc
Old 01-16-2003, 01:50 PM
Clink69
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: 1969 suspension rebuil/new member long (redaddiction)

Welcome, I have a 350/350 69 also..
I think you need to determine what specifically needs done first. Most likely replace all 6 universals, check all the brakes. The list goes on and on... Evaluate it all first...Take on one thing at a time...

Chris
:flag
Old 01-16-2003, 02:38 PM
Avette4me
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In VIII Veteran

Default Re: 1969 suspension rebuil/new member long (redaddiction)

Welcome. You'll find this to be a location for a lot of valuable info.

I went through mine early last spring. Noticed some front grommets looking bad, the more I looked, the more it seemed to need to be 100%. Ended up deciding to change every grommet, bushing, wheel bearing, all of it. It was my philosophy that, like an engine, don't stop part way. It wasn't cheap, and I needed a fair amount of help - especially with the rear wheel bearings, but in my humble opinion, it was well worth it. It's a good feeling to be confident enough to get in and go wherever you want without fear of breaking down or worse yet crashing because you did it most of the way.

Anyway, my two cents are that if it appears to need redone, just do it. Then drive your **** off! :auto:
Old 01-16-2003, 03:18 PM
NHvette
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Default Re: 1969 suspension rebuil/new member long (Avette4me)

I agree - do it right if you're gonna do it.
Sorry to hear about your brother. Sounds like a nasty accident.

Count on getting a deluxe suspension rebuild kit. Rubber or poly - it's your choice.
Beyond that - brake calipers, trailing arm assemblies, rear strut rods, and
differential yokes should be examined carefully.

Optional will be fiberglass spring(s), rear sway bar, and bigger front sway bar.

All this is considerably easier with the body off of the chassis - but that's
a whole can of worms. However, wouldn't it be better to learn of some frame
or body rot BEFORE doing all the suspension work ? This, of course, turns the
project into a really long-term thing.

Get notified of new replies

To 1969 suspension rebuil/new member long

Quick Reply: 1969 suspension rebuil/new member long