C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another Header question - sorry!

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2003, 01:01 PM
UKPaul
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Another Header question - sorry!

I've got a Mid America 2 1/2" dual system fitted & was thinking about fitting some Dynomax ceramic coated Headers. Has anybody done this setup? What I need to know is how difficult is it to hook the Headers into the MA system? Obviously I need to weld the reducers onto the pipes, but the tricky bit is if any pipe bending needs to be done. I've checked all the local exhaust places & it seems very few fabricate systems (they all just bolt on replacement stock systems) & the few that do, don't deal with systems as large as 2 1/2". The most helpful comment I got was "Two & an arf inches? What's it for, mate, the Queen Mary? Harrr, harrr, harrr". So, any experiences in hooking up Headers to an MA dual system would be much appreciated.
TIA
Paul.
Old 01-16-2003, 01:11 PM
GR8T WYT
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Another Header question - sorry! (UKPaul)

Paul, if all else fails get some 2.5" flexible exhaust pipe and clamp a suitable length between your reducer and MA pipe. You'll probably have to cut the MA pipe back some from the reducer. Pep boys sells this flex pipe in the exhaust section-cheap. Just a thought, Bob
Old 01-16-2003, 03:00 PM
RIXautoART
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have that exact system on my '79. I purchased the headers from Jeg's. They have a universal extension with a reducer welded to a short curved pipe. It took some grunts and groans, but the extension hooked up to the 'off-road' system and Dynomax mufflers. I have been told that it is the best sounding exhaust in the club. Not loud and harsh. Just deep grumbling note. When you jump on it, they know you are coming. The Midas franchise usually has a 'custom fabricating' store in some areas. If you want to stand over them and watch, you will get a good system. You have to give them explicit, written, diagrammed instructions. Believe me. :eek:
Old 01-16-2003, 03:05 PM
Fevre
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Another Header question - sorry! (RIXautoART)

The Midas franchise usually has a 'custom fabricating' store in some areas. If you want to stand over them and watch, you will get a good system. You have to give them explicit, written, diagrammed instructions. Believe me. :eek:
Ya I dropped mine off and think I should have just dropped it off at the local high school auto shop, really poor work even after I told them exacty what I wanted. :rolleyes:
Old 01-16-2003, 04:11 PM
fauxrs
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hedman makes header extension pipes that have a gentle s-bend in them - these bends perfectly aligned with the x-member openings on my 78 - you merely have to cut them to length to mate up with the mid america duals at the x-member -

I have the mid america duals hooked up on my car in such a way and it worked great. Jegs has these...500-18806 2-1/2'' X-Tension Kit $22.99

I do think there might be issues with these if you have an automatic but they went directly into my 4 speed equipped car.

[Modified by fauxrs, 1:12 PM 1/16/2003]
Old 01-17-2003, 06:15 AM
UKPaul
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Re: Another Header question - sorry! (fauxrs)

Thanks for the replies. I forgot to say that I've got the MA '81 system where both pipes run down the p. side.
fauxrs: Those extension pipes look good. Any idea how far along the trans (auto) the Dynomax Headers run? I'm taking the exhaust off to fit a 200-4r & I could use those extensions to move the pipes away from the trans, reducing any heat problems. Good idea, or not?
GR8T WYT: Is that flexible stuff very rigid? Could it be bent into position & then carefully removed and used as a pattern to bend a bit of pipe to the same shape?
Thanks again
Paul

Get notified of new replies

To Another Header question - sorry!

Quick Reply: Another Header question - sorry!