C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1980 Doors windows rattle...HELP

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2003, 11:12 AM
signthere.com
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1980 Doors windows rattle...HELP

My drivers door glass moves all over the place. when the doors is open i can push the window towards the car then back towards me about a good inch each way. i noticed those little furry rattle pads are not in there but other than those what would i need to tighten up the window. all the aligning bolts are tight, so im stumped. Thanks for any help! :chevy
Old 01-16-2003, 12:37 PM
UKPaul
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Re: 1980 Doors windows rattle...HELP (signthere.com)

Hi,
Fit those little anti rattle pads & it should be much better. My pads ('81 so it should be the same as yours) weren't adjusted right up against the glass & it rattled badly. Just moving them about 1/8" to touch the glass stopped all the rattles (had to elongate the adjusting slots to able to move them enough).
Be warned: If the window touches the weatherstrips OK & doesn't leak water then think very carefully b4 you get any ideas of trying to move the glass about to stop the rattles - you may live to regret it! Adjusting the glass to the weatherstrips can be one of the most frustrating & time consuming jobs in C3 ownership :( Now mine is set up to not leak or rattle when closed, it can still rattle slightly if the window is fully open. Just closing it about 1/8" stops the rattle & there's probably an adjustment I can do to stop it opening so far, but as the window adjustment was such a PITA I'm not going to go there :D
:cheers:
Old 01-16-2003, 02:27 PM
Ric's80_4sp
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: 1980 Doors windows rattle...HELP (signthere.com)

I had the same problem...23 years of use the plastic rollers on the regulator and the window guide loose their "tightness." You may also find a broken spring on the regulator arm itself. Sorry but there is no "easy fix" except to replace all those parts. On my 80 I replaced the regulators, motors, switches, rattle pads, and all the rollers, on both doors and now I have nice quiet doors that have that "new car sound" when I shut the doors. If you under take this project, I would suggest you take note how the window glass fits around the weatherstrip and to scribe around all mounting bolts to help with reassembly.

Good Luck

Get notified of new replies

To 1980 Doors windows rattle...HELP

Quick Reply: 1980 Doors windows rattle...HELP