C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Quest for More Power

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2003, 03:13 AM
ry
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The Quest for More Power

ive got a L-48 and was thinking of adding a lil kick to it. i want a turbo in the future but for now i am looking at things like a 383 stroker kit, air/oil filter upgrades ect. basicaly i want to pop the hood and not see a visible difference. any good power adders that arn't too expensive? i was also thinking of a cam, but don't know which to get. any ideas would be helpful. BTW... who sells a turbo for chevy anyway?
Old 01-16-2003, 03:33 AM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

Default Re: The Quest for More Power (ry)

IMO, the biggest single change you can do to your car to imporve the general engine performance is add an L98 DPFI setup....or spend more money on an aftermariket setup....the closed loop operation about doubled the fuel economy on my '72 L48 engine, and not only that it ran better, started easier in winter, just can't beat the proper operating computer.....

GENE
Old 01-16-2003, 08:57 AM
J75
Racer

Default Re: The Quest for More Power (ry)

First you need to decide which way you want to go.You can build a 383 using your stock heads and intake but will be limiting the power output greatly.Of course you could install aftermarket and paint to match block for the stock look.Comp Cams can give you a recomendation for your application after you decide on parts.There is more to a turbo than just bolt on and go.It requires a low compression motor with a strong rotating assembly.Other wise when you crank up the boost to make good hp the motor will come apart in a hurry.In other words,you would need to build two different engine combos or build a low compression 383 now and add a turbo later.There again you would be limiting the power out put untill the turbo is added.Just remember,none of it is cheap.
Old 01-16-2003, 09:36 AM
Ganey
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Re: The Quest for More Power (J75)

383 highly rec.! Even a mild 383 will run like a BB. Cam is no problem. Basically need C.I., trans. & gears. Best to build for NA first, that way it can be optimized. The 383 would need changes when/if a turbo was added.

:cool:
Old 01-16-2003, 09:43 AM
ry
Racer

Default Re: The Quest for More Power (J75)

can you explain the comp ratios again? low for boost, high for power? how much is a DPFI? where?

thanks again everyone, you guys rock

Get notified of new replies

To The Quest for More Power

Quick Reply: The Quest for More Power