C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

any tips on changing the universal joint???

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2003, 08:44 PM
corvettemaster
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default any tips on changing the universal joint???

Changing the universal joint soon, since I swapped trannys. Is there any cool tips to changing it? Or do I have to do it the old fashioned way and take out the driveshaft? :smash:
Old 01-15-2003, 10:33 PM
jerryp58
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: any tips on changing the universal joint??? (corvettemaster)

There's nothing COOL about changing U-joints :U

The driveshaft was pretty straight forward.
I think I had my driveshaft out, U-joints changed, and driveshaft back in, in about 30 minutes.

The half-shafts were a total PITB on my car.
I know I spent at least 6 hours beating the old ones out with a drift pin and hammer :smash:

I went with the greasable (with Zerk fittings) U-joints, but some people think that's a waste and that they are also weaker.

No tips that I know of, but I have some old Corvette Fever Magazine articles that you're welcomed to if you send me your postal address.

[Modified by jerryp58, 10:35 PM 1/15/2003]
Old 01-15-2003, 11:47 PM
mapman
Melting Slicks

Received 68 Likes on 54 Posts

corvettemaster,

Before you remove the propeller shaft, mark the shaft and the differential, so that when you put them back together the units retain their balance.

Here is a link from: http://www.corvettefaq.com/ that has useful information.

http://iotech.no/corvette/technical/...te_ujoints.htm

If you decide to do the half shaft's u-joints, and your half shafts attach with flanges, be sure to give the flange adequate support to keep it from bending. You might also search the archives for additional information on u-joint removal. The Corvette shop manual also has useful information.

Lots of opinions, just be sure not to bend the yokes.

Old 01-16-2003, 12:49 AM
ORVette
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I took my driveshaft and halfshafts to a drivetrain shop to get them done. Mine had never been changed before, and the halfshafts were just impossible for me to budge. I got all three balanced, straightened, and Spicer joints installed for around $200 total. Not cheap, but it sure smoothed out the drivetrain, and I got a fresh shiny coat of paint. Just another option.

[Modified by ORVette, 9:50 PM 1/15/2003]
Old 01-16-2003, 09:00 AM
norvalwilhelm
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Re: any tips on changing the universal joint??? (jerryp58)

My son taught me how to remove the universals without force. He takes the torch and cuts out the X in the universal. He then takes and air chissel and walks the old caps out. He then uses a flapper wheel and polishes the yokes on the inside and also uses a file to guarantee no burrs. He then puts the drive shaft in a vise, lubes the yokes well and with a brass hammer walks the caps into the yoke and installs the clips.
I have done dozens with the press. Pressing them off then back on and I feel his way is alot better. Nothing is forced. No pent yokes.
I have used up to 12,000 pounds pressing old universals out and this has got to bend the yokes.
If the yokes are too tight the cap gets deformed and the universals have a short life.
I know this involves alot of tools but to me it is the best and he does one in less then 5 minutes.

Get notified of new replies

To any tips on changing the universal joint???

Quick Reply: any tips on changing the universal joint???