C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Air Tool Questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2003, 08:34 PM
foundvettelifeisgood
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 183 Likes on 86 Posts

Default Air Tool Questions

I bought an air tool kit that includes several sockets. They are 3/8", 5/8", 1/2" and 9/16." I'll be using this for my suspension change-out. Do I need additional impact sockets?

The air tool manual recommends an in-line oiler. Is this a simple attachment to the hose, or is this something more serious that would be used in a shop?

I'm totally new to air tools. Any other advise is welcome. :cheers:
Old 01-15-2003, 08:45 PM
vettfixr
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Re: Air Tool Questions (foundvettelifeisgood)

The set you have will take care of most of your work but a full set of sockets isn't that expensive. You can get sets reasonably priced from Sears or Home Depot (Husky). An in line oiler is recommended because it supplies the tools with a constant supply of oil when they're running. This helps lubricate the tool and prevents the internal motor from rusting in the event that you have water in your air lines. If you're not using the tools in a professional capacity it's OK to just oil the tool before each use. An in line oiler is just what it says...an oiler that fits in line between your air hose and the tool. They look sort of like one of the clear fuel filters that you can buy in the aftermarket for fuel lines. You can get them at most auto parts stores that sell air tools or you can get them from sears, harbor freight, home depot, etc. They're not expensive.
Old 01-15-2003, 08:57 PM
Russ Bellinis
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What is even more important than an inline oiler, although they look very similar is a water separator. I use air tools professionally, and I just oil each tool the first time I use it each day. The water separator will have a clear plastic bowl, and you can see the water puddle in the bottom of the separator. You just drain it when ever you see water. Also, when you drain your water separator, drain off the moisture on the bottom of your air tank. Is your air compressor mounted in your garage or portable? If it is mounted, run piping from the tank to various places where it will be convenient to plug in hoses for air tool use. Put your water separator down the pipe near where you will plug in the hoses to give any condensation in the lines an oportunity to condense out and be trapped in the separator.
Old 01-15-2003, 09:14 PM
Gordonm
Race Director

Received 754 Likes on 464 Posts

Default Re: Air Tool Questions (Russ Bellinis)

I used to work for a GM dealership as a line mechanic. About once a week I would run some oil through my tools. The rest of the time there was no oil. I ran them hard for three years and never had a problem. 20 years later I still have the same tools and they are still running strong. To much oil and you will have a mess on the exhaust of your tools. You should get a water trap to take out the water from the air. An inline oiler is nice but not needed.
Old 01-15-2003, 09:22 PM
foundvettelifeisgood
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Re: Air Tool Questions (Russ Bellinis)

Thanks. Great sig-pic Vettfixr. Sears has an in-line oiler for $14.

Russ--I didn't see a water separator, but I'll keep looking. My compressor is portable.

Any thoughts on whether I need deep sockets? :smash:
Old 01-15-2003, 09:29 PM
foundvettelifeisgood
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Re: Air Tool Questions (Gordonm)

Gordonm--Beyond this VBP suspension conversion, I don't see myself using the air tools much, but I thought that about all my tools. Somehow, when you have them, you use them and wonder what you did without them.
Old 01-15-2003, 10:10 PM
page62
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How big is your air tank?
Old 01-16-2003, 08:52 AM
Gordonm
Race Director

Received 754 Likes on 464 Posts

Default Re: Air Tool Questions (page62)

You will be surprised at how much you use these tools. They are always nice to have around
Old 01-16-2003, 09:46 AM
Jughead
Senior Member since 1492
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean people aren't out to get me...
Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Default Re: Air Tool Questions (Gordonm)

Jay, congrats on the tool purchase. They will come in handy, BUT I see one of these in your future. You gotta get that BB. :D

Old 01-16-2003, 09:52 AM
john's '81 mouse
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For occasional users, non-professional mechanics, the black impact sockets sold by outfits like Harbor Frieight, are good enough and usually much less expensive than Sears. I buy from Sears when I'm buying a tool I'll be using a lot, and one which I want to a warranty on. Deep sockets are great as well, like others have said, you'll be surprised how much you use your air tools...........I use my impact wrench all the time for wheel removal of all my vehicles, for example.

Agree no need for in line oiler, just squirt some oil into tool prior to each usage, and it'll be good.
Old 01-16-2003, 09:57 AM
Twin_Turbo
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Re: Air Tool Questions (john's '81 mouse)

an oiler is cheap insurance, fill the thing and you never have to worry about your tools. Now, if you were painting or powdercoating or something like that it might be a good idea to hook up to a line without the oiler ;) :D

Get notified of new replies

To Air Tool Questions

Quick Reply: Air Tool Questions