C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need advice on project steps, logistics

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2003, 07:07 PM
sb69coupe
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Need advice on project steps, logistics

I'm in the early stages of the winter project. The main things I want to address are:

rebuild front suspension and detail frame
replace radiator support and detail forward headlamp compartment
replace front and rear main seals, clean and detail engine, engine bay, and firewall
replace clutch, rebuild tranny, detail frame crossmember and tunnel.

The car is on a 4-post lift for the duration of the project. In an ideal world I'd tear everything down, rebuild everything at once, then reinstall. Given the limited amount of time I've got, I don't want to get too deep and end up missing half the summer as I try to complete my "winter" project.

So, what do you guys think about doing the front suspension and radiator related removal first, detailing the frame and reinstalling all the new suspension. Then do the engine related stuff and reinstall the radiator support after it's done. At that point I can determine whether or not to tackle the lutch and tranny or put it off until next winter.

Are there any advangtages of doing any or all of these steps in parallel, or can they be split up? I want to avoid reinstalling something then having to remove it again when I move on to the next mini-project.

Advice?

Shannon
Old 01-15-2003, 07:24 PM
63Banshee
Melting Slicks

Location: WANTED: '68 rear valance with b/u light assemblies IM, e-mail, or PM me here. Thanks!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Need advice on project steps, logistics (sb69coupe)

You get better results by doing it all at once.
Old 01-15-2003, 09:31 PM
78Vette-SA
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Need advice on project steps, logistics (sb69coupe)

Speaking from experience, I'd do it at the same time. It's so much easier to get at things when it's all apart. For instance, if the rad and support are out, it's much easier to get at the upper control arms and the front of the engine. etc. etc.

Also, once you get it all back together, you're not gonna wanna take it apart again.

You may want to check out some of the pics on my website as well as others who have been down this path.

:smash: :smash:

Get notified of new replies

To Need advice on project steps, logistics

Quick Reply: Need advice on project steps, logistics