C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Door Panel seperating from door 1969 corvette, Quick Inexpensive FIX?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2003, 06:30 PM
TFranchini
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Door Panel seperating from door 1969 corvette, Quick Inexpensive FIX?

The passenger door panel is seperating from the door, in the area of the door catch
is there a quick a inexpensive way to repair this?
Old 01-15-2003, 06:48 PM
J75
Racer

Default Re: Door Panel seperating from door 1969 corvette, Quick Inexpensive FIX? (TFranchini)

Make sure your u clips front and rear are in good shape if not replace them.
Old 01-15-2003, 07:17 PM
sb69coupe
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Door Panel seperating from door 1969 corvette, Quick Inexpensive FIX? (TFranchini)

Do you mean that the fiberglass door skin is separating from the inner metal door frame? If so, it's likely from rust on the metal compromising the bond. You may be able to shoot some bonding adhesive in there and clamp it to reattach things, but it's probably a symptom of a larger issue.

Shannon
Old 01-15-2003, 09:31 PM
Clink69
Drifting

If you are referring to the door panels, I had to fix them , seems they got wet too much. I glued some thin support wood on the back of the panel. Drilled out the thin wood and put clips back and it reattaced OK.

Chris
:flag
Old 01-15-2003, 09:43 PM
Fevre
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I knew I was going to replace mine so for a short term fix I drilled a hole through them and into the metal then used a screw like the ones used to holded the tops in place (nice and shiney with a washer) then clamped them down. Since there was a matching screw at the top it does not look out of place too bad. Just do it in stages, unlike me:), or you might crease or bend them the panel or rip the vinyl. Butt the screw's washer against the vinyl then tighten it a little each day for while. Do it when it is humid and the it will give better. Oh here's another trick, cut yourself a 1/4" long section of small diameter vac hose and screw it on the the screw butting it against the washer, it acts as nice cushion so the washers don't tear into the vinyl. I did this on all my screws like that when I re-did my interior. Once in place you can't see the hose at all and no tearing vinyl where the washer meets the vinyl. :thumbs:

[Modified by Fevre, 8:46 PM 1/15/2003]
Old 01-16-2003, 10:21 AM
Surfer69
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

On mine the velcro clip things dont stick so like Fevre said I used a couple of matching screws into the door sheet metal to hold. Tried other options but this is only way I found to get nice and tight and really unnoticeable.

Get notified of new replies

To Door Panel seperating from door 1969 corvette, Quick Inexpensive FIX?

Quick Reply: Door Panel seperating from door 1969 corvette, Quick Inexpensive FIX?