C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is my 200-4R tranny gonna blow up on me?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2003, 05:59 PM
page62
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Is my 200-4R tranny gonna blow up on me?!?!

A few months back, I had a Bowtie Level 2 200-4R tranny installed in my car. It's been great so far -- firm shifts when and where I want them.

The only problem I've had is the tranny has leaked like a sieve since day 1. But I blame that on the turkeys who did the installation -- they're now out of business.

So I took the car to a REAL tranny shop (not Aamco) for a reseal. When I told the guy what I had in the car, his first words were practically, "What's that thing doing in there? It's gonna blow up on you!" Despite my explanation that it was a built-up tranny -- and his comments about how nice it worked during a test drive --his response remained, "That tranny is going to last you one year, maybe two. Something's gonna crack -- it just can't take the stress."

I offered him a side bet on this issue, but I want some feedback & input so I'll know how much I should wager...
Old 01-15-2003, 06:21 PM
WA 2 FST
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 556 Likes on 359 Posts

Default Re: Is my 200-4R tranny gonna blow up on me?!?! (page62)

Well, I don't know your combo well enough to say for sure, but I know there are lots of guys with _seriously_ fast Buick GNs running those things, and I'm betting they make more HP/TQ than 75% of the C3 Vettes here on this forum. Plus they have a heavier car, so it will be harder on a tranny than a C3 Vette.

I know 200R4 trannies can be built to handle a stock weight GN running in the 9s. How that compares with your Level 2 built tranny, I cannot say.

But if it was built _right_ and you're not making 700hp, I think you'll be fine for a long time. :)
Old 01-15-2003, 07:21 PM
Smokehouse69
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Default Re: Is my 200-4R tranny gonna blow up on me?!?! (page62)

Don't worry about it, the TH200-4r will probably last as long as your TH350.
Old 01-15-2003, 08:17 PM
page62
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Is my 200-4R tranny gonna blow up on me?!?! (Smokehouse69)

Yeah, well the irony of it is I felt more comfortable working with someone who was brutally frank in his opinions. He (or at least his techs) got the reseal job. I guess I get tired of the nod and smile :yesnod: crowd sometimes.

Get notified of new replies

To Is my 200-4R tranny gonna blow up on me?!?!

Quick Reply: Is my 200-4R tranny gonna blow up on me?!?!