C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Standard Water Pump vs Serpentine Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2003, 01:47 PM
flynhi
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Standard Water Pump vs Serpentine Conversion

The serpentine conversion I'm into typically calls for a reverse rotation water pump. I currently have a very nice chrome standard rotation pump that I'd like to use.
I have been told that running a standard rotation pump backwards only loses about 5% efficiency and that I can use my standard pump with a serpentine pulley.
Any opinions on this?

[Modified by flynhi, 5:09 PM 1/15/2003]

[Modified by flynhi, 5:57 PM 1/15/2003]
Old 01-15-2003, 02:16 PM
Budman68
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '07

Default Re: Standard Water Pump vs Serpentine Conversion (flynhi)

I wouldn't try that. You can pick up a used one at Uptmors in Waco for nothing or maybe reverse the impellers.
Old 01-15-2003, 04:42 PM
Smokehouse69
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Will,
I just changed the waterpump on my truck with a serpentine belt. It had clockwise or standard rotation waterpump on it and the belt system turned it clockwise.
I did some measurement and I think that the 1987-1995 serpentine system used on Chevy 5.7 trucks would work on a C-3, as long as you were running electric fans. The only close place was at the front crossmember, with the crank pulley. As close as I could measure it looked like it would clear by about 1/2" Of course this would require going to a long water pump and early C-3's would have to change to a rotary or Sanden type compressor.
Do you know if anyone has tried to use one of these truck serpentine systems in a C-3?
Old 01-15-2003, 04:58 PM
wbarkley
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Standard Water Pump vs Serpentine Conversion (Smokehouse69)

I used parts from an '88 and '92 Camaro, but I looked at a '90 Suburban also. The Camaro had an AIR pump, which ended up being located inside the passenger side upper control arm. Therefore, I removed it. I'll have to fabricate a bracket to take up the belt slack with an idler.

When I looked at the Suburban, it had an idler already in place and no air pump. I was concerned about the height of the AC compressor and hood clearance, and that's why I went with the Camaro parts. Looking back, I think the truck brackets would actually work fine.

BTW - The Camaro water pump is reverse ROTATION, not reverse flow. I think it was less than $50 at NAPA, with no core charge. It fit my stock lower hose with only a little trimming on each end to get the right length.
Old 01-15-2003, 06:10 PM
flynhi
Le Mans Master

Default Re: Standard Water Pump vs Serpentine Conversion (Smokehouse69)

Smokehouse - good idea. I hadn't thought of that.
Old 01-15-2003, 06:16 PM
LT1driver
Le Mans Master

Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

why would you want to go that route anyway? better cooling or just wanting one belt? :confused:
Old 01-15-2003, 06:59 PM
flynhi
Le Mans Master

Default Re: Standard Water Pump vs Serpentine Conversion (LT1driver)

I'm making the conversion to go to a Sanden AC compressor and to clean up the engine bay. I've also read that serp belts are easier on the bearings of accessories.
Old 01-15-2003, 07:11 PM
Smokehouse69
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

It sure makes it easier to work on the waterpump and individual accessory components, when you don't have to pull three belts off to change one belt. Installing a serpentine belt is a pleasure because it only takes about 5 minutes to do and as Will said, it cleans up the engine compartment considerably.
I changed my water pump on my truck and it took no more than 10 minutes to pull the old pump, because I had no accessory brakets or extra belts to remove.

Get notified of new replies

To Standard Water Pump vs Serpentine Conversion

Quick Reply: Standard Water Pump vs Serpentine Conversion