C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Advice on Aluminum Timing Cover

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2003, 10:36 PM
81vette
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Need Advice on Aluminum Timing Cover

I'm going to be using Edelbrock's aluminum short water pump, and a Crane double roller chain. Are there any clearance issues associated with running a short pump and a double roller timing chain? Is there an aluminum cover that will work with this setup? Thanks for your help.

mark
Old 01-15-2003, 11:46 AM
jackson
Le Mans Master

Received 628 Likes on 556 Posts

Default Re: Need Advice on Aluminum Timing Cover (81vette)

A double roller chain will fit inside virtually any cover (OE or aftermarket, steel or Al) ... that's really not an issue. Routinely, pump-to-timing cover clearance problems arise ... primarily w/ aftermarket short pumps. Sorry, I can't note a specific combo that's a perfect fit. That said, be prepared to grind-file a bit on back side of wp ... you'll need about 0.050" clearance cold ... it's no biggie. Have t-cover in place with gasket. Do Not grind-file on t-cover. If you find wp pulley is too far back for proper belt alignment ... Moroso, Mr Gasket & Weiand make a wp hub shim kit to correct ... $5-$10/kit ... one will do it. If it's aligned correct but pulley hits wp housing ... grind-file a bit off front of wp housing.
Old 01-15-2003, 12:02 PM
ram82fire
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Edelbrock offers a thick wall aluminum timing cover that has counterbores or dimples to clear the water pump bolts that normally would cause a clearance problem using their alum pump .

Gman

[Modified by ram82fire, 11:03 AM 1/15/2003]
Old 01-15-2003, 12:18 PM
gkull
Team Owner

Received 1,329 Likes on 1,057 Posts

Default Re: Need Advice on Aluminum Timing Cover (ram82fire)

I explained that I used a cast aluminum cloyes to you because of the adjustable roller button for the cam. You need a stiff cover for possible end play.

I would also recommend the Crane billet gear and chain.
Old 01-15-2003, 01:26 PM
81vette
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Need Advice on Aluminum Timing Cover (ram82fire)

Thanks guys!

George I do have the Crane billet gear and chain. You weren't able to use the cloyes cover, because of clearance issues right?

ram82fire, I checked edelbrocks site and I didn't see the cover your refering to. Do you have a part number by chance?

What do you guys think about using nylon cam buttons verses aluminum? What's the best way to remove material from a nylon button for end play adjustments?

mark

[Modified by 81vette, 12:29 PM 1/15/2003]
Old 01-15-2003, 01:40 PM
gkull
Team Owner

Received 1,329 Likes on 1,057 Posts

Yes I used the cloyes! What I said was my flow Kooler pump died in couple of weeks of the motor install so I had to go back to my stock and then I bought a Stewart pump.

High volume water pumps just have a thicker impellar. So the metal cover on the back of the water pump has to be modified. I bent down the edges and used near headless allen bolts to reattach the rear cover. You could probably just grind the lower bolts to about half the height and be fine.

Old 01-15-2003, 01:56 PM
ram82fire
Burning Brakes

Try Jegspart #350-4240

gman
Old 01-15-2003, 06:28 PM
BeaterShark
Drifting

I have a generic Summit cast cover and a Stewart Stage I WP. I had to replace the lower bolts on the WP with lower profile ones (which I got at my local HW store) and I ground off the "Summit" stamp off the top of the cover. I can barely see daylight between the pump and cover and I have no leaks after about 15k miles.

I initially bought both a nylon and Al roller cam buttons. I initially went with the nylon one due to it being easier to grind down for the correct endplay. At about 3k miles I pulled the oil pan (and front cover) to fix an oil leak and noticed that the cam button had visual wear on it. I don't remember how much it had worn at that point, but I think it was in the .015" - .030". I, then, ground down and installed the Al roller button and chucked the nylon junk in the trash.

Get notified of new replies

To Need Advice on Aluminum Timing Cover

Quick Reply: Need Advice on Aluminum Timing Cover