C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

does your love of your vette result in you neglecting your DD?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2003, 10:16 PM
SizzleChest
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default does your love of your vette result in you neglecting your DD?

i've noticed lately that i'm always tinkering with the vette and i'm almost ignoring my truck. anyone else in the same boat with their daily driver or any other non-corvette?
Old 01-14-2003, 10:19 PM
82dukman
Le Mans Master

Default Re: does your love of your vette result in you neglecting your DD? (SizzleChest)

Not really. My truck is only 2 years old so it doesn't need much tinkering except the occassional wax.
Old 01-14-2003, 10:42 PM
Crash Dummy
Safety Car

St. Jude Contributor
Default Re: does your love of your vette result in you neglecting your DD? (82dukman)

I gotta admit that my truck gets little to no attention since this Vette hit the garage. But, a year ago I laid out $7000 totally redoing the pickup with new paint, captains chairs, bed cover, new AC, rebuilt clutch, nice wheels & oversized Goodyear tires.

Doesn't sound bad except that I paid $8400 in 1986 for this Ford F-150 stepside pickup. It's pulled many a race car and will be used to trailer this Vette to the track. And only 108,000 miles. Just breaking in the 300 straight 6 as they last forever. The only thing Ford did right.
Old 01-14-2003, 11:01 PM
page62
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: does your love of your vette result in you neglecting your DD? (SizzleChest)

My oldest daily driver is a '94 Jeep Cherokee with 90K miles. Quite frankly, it runs great, goes like a scalded cat, and needs little in the way of maintenance. My other truck, a 2000 Ford F150, has never had a single warranty claim.

What am I supposed to do, wax 'em regularly? :lolg: Ain't gonna happen.

So for an old wrenchhead, it's kinda fun to have a car that needs constant tinkering and maintenance.
Old 01-14-2003, 11:06 PM
Tron79
Intermediate

Yep! I have this 96 TurboDeisel Dodge Ram that gets to guard the driveway now that the Vette lives in the garage. It pays me back for neglecting it, though. If I let it sit longer than about a week without starting it, the battery dies. Keeps me from going longer than about a week without driven it...
Old 01-14-2003, 11:13 PM
NHvette
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Default Re: does your love of your vette result in you neglecting your DD? (Tron79)

Dohhh !! Had to put a muffler on the wifes truck this morning in the 15
degree weather. But yes - the other cars will wait unless it's urgent.
I've had new rear wheel bearing assemblies in the back seat of my Buick
for a year now - that I'll replace someday (235K on the originals). For now,
I'm thinking more about the vette.

:seeya

[Modified by NHvette, 11:13 PM 1/14/2003]
Old 01-15-2003, 12:01 AM
tnt76vette
Drifting

Default Re: does your love of your vette result in you neglecting your DD? (NHvette)

My "beater" is a 2001 ZR2 Ragtop Tracker..... It get its oil changed regularly, all the Gas it needs to go abt 100 miles a day, and all the washer solvent it can use, but I particularly make sure that the headlights, tailights, and my bumper sticker that sez: " Wrap your azz in Fiberglass, Drive a Vette" are clean and visable. :D :D :D
Old 01-15-2003, 05:21 AM
Mystery Machine
Drifting

Yep, I used to keep my truck spotless inside and out (mechanically it is perfect) now it only gets and occasional cleaning when there's nothing to do to the vette.

:cheers:
Old 01-15-2003, 08:04 AM
rrent
Drifting

My daily driver is a '72 Blazer which has started demanding much more of my attention than my Vette.... going to drop a rebuilt 350 in it and go through brakes - that should keep it content for a few months.....
Old 01-15-2003, 08:25 AM
Edzred72
Le Mans Master

[Quote]does your love of your vette result in you neglecting your DD?[Quote]

Absolutely!!!! That's what daily drivers are for...to be ignored and beaten like a rented mule!!! :D :D
Eddie
Old 01-15-2003, 08:39 AM
Alwyn678
Team Owner

Received 141 Likes on 124 Posts

Default Re: does your love of your vette result in you neglecting your DD? (Silvr77)

does your love of your vette result in you neglecting your DD?

Absolutely!!!! That's what daily drivers are for...to be ignored and beaten like a rented mule!!! :D :D
Eddie
:withstupid: :rofl:
Old 01-15-2003, 09:13 AM
Plastic Wheels
Instructor

Unfortunately. or fortunately my '76 vette is my daily driver. I have a '68 chevy 4X4 as my back-up driver.
Old 01-15-2003, 10:15 AM
ED DINAPOLI
Drifting

Received 34 Likes on 24 Posts

Yes. The other cars are not the only thing that gets neglected, just ask my wife. This has been going on for the 33 years we have been married, because I have had vetts for over 35 years.
Ed
Old 01-15-2003, 11:02 AM
Jon69L46
Racer

I gotta admit your right. My bronco got kicked out of the garage when the vette arrived; the attention has been minimal at best. Good truck and I usually maintain my stuff pretty well. But it never got over the emotional disconnect. :jester

My wife’s car on the other hand is PURFECT. got to recognize priorities and keep them straight. Now if I could just get her to park it outside! j/k

Jon
Old 01-15-2003, 11:22 AM
BeachinVette
Drifting

My vette is my daily driver. I have two but the other is still getting little stuff done to it. I am keeping it original so I don't have the enthusiam (SP) to work on it as much. I can't bring the 76 down more than 4 day's so it makes it hard to major stuff to it. Lastnight I talked to the wife telling her I wished I had a good friend that knew what a wrench was and how to use one so I could do the 4 spd conversion quicker, I think I can do it myself in 4 day's but it will be close,, pedel assy is gonna slow things down I am afraid.
Bob
Old 01-15-2003, 11:46 AM
norvalwilhelm
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

My first hobby is my horse with my house and grounds a close second. I always make time for the horse before the car. In the summer my wife has no problems getting me to work around the house. I take great pride in my lawns, flower beds etc. She is trying to hold me back from many improvements.
My vet comes last but I work hours over the winter each night on it after taking care of Strider.
We have a rule that by 9 in the summer or 8 in the winter that we sit down together and spend time with each other. It is a relaxing time, a good time.
It must work. I am going into my 35th year with the same wife and we are happy.
Old 01-15-2003, 12:13 PM
verskel
Safety Car

Hmmmmmmmmmm....... :yawn:

I'd hafta say that the 'oldest' vette gets more attention. :lolg:

Get notified of new replies

To does your love of your vette result in you neglecting your DD?

Old 01-15-2003, 12:26 PM
Wrencher
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

My '92 Suburban (3 big boys, big a** boat to tow) is as close to a "daily" driver as I come. I live 1.5 miles from work, so I walk or ride a bike, weather permitting (which is almost always). That's a good thing because the 'burb has a ton of miles on it and sucks the gas! My wife has a '90 Subaru Legacy (200K on the clock) that is the most reliable, solid car I've ever owned. The short answer is I get to spend most of my time on my babies.

Oh, and by the way, even though I own an SUV, I'm not a commie or a terrorist!

Hans
Old 01-15-2003, 12:46 PM
adamdinat
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I neglect them a little bit. With a pick up, an SUV and 2 Harleys as well as the Vette it is a challenge just keeping them all washed. The good thing is that there is always something cool to drive. I try to rotate and drive all the toys lest my wife begins to look at them as non performing assets :auto:
Old 01-15-2003, 01:30 PM
MN-Brent
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: does your love of your vette result in you neglecting your DD? (adamdinat)

Thats what I say-A challenge to keep my DD washed. My truck was looking VERY DIRTY this summer while the vette interior was being ripped out.

I even asked the wife to wash the truck for me. Lucky me, I have a wifey that likes to wash cars. :cheers: :cheers:

Brent....

Quick Reply: does your love of your vette result in you neglecting your DD?