C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Drop-in ignition update?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2003, 12:08 AM
74FLCONV
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drop-in ignition update?

I am not a speed-freak nor a street-racer and can't remember the last time I went faster than 60mph in my car. High-speed performance isn't an issue. I just want the car to purr...

That said, can someone recommend a drop-in ignition update for a stock '74 350 auto? I'm getting ready to tune-up the car and figured this would be a good time. I would like to replace the points with one of those "little-black-boxes" that fit under the original distributor cap. There are so many options, I have no idea whose hype to believe...so I will rely on yours!

Thanks in advance,

D. Ocean
Miami, FLA
Old 01-14-2003, 12:14 AM
Garson
Racer

Default Re: Drop-in ignition update? (74FLCONV)

I tried a couple of the conversions and fried them both. I am back to my orginal points. I am using a curve from Lar's and a set of Mallory points. The car runs great and I do not have to worry about a failure in an electronic part.
Old 01-14-2003, 12:17 AM
Smokehouse69
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

In my humble opinion, stay away from the Pertronix Lobesensor. I had one and it was a real PITA. It took a 5 second delay at every start. After it started it worked faultlessly, even smoothed out my rough idle (which I later found out was caused by a wornout lower distributor bushing.)
The Ignitor II is supposed to be better, it requires the distributor to be pulled to install. With a high energy coil it will work as good as an HEI.
Old 01-14-2003, 03:13 PM
Missileman
Instructor

I put a Pertronix Ignitor in a 74 350. Ten minute installation time, and has given no problems in over 10,000 miles. Also improved the gas mileage (although the previous points might have been old.) It's a better install than Mallory's system, and the extra wire is easily hideable for a completely stock look.
K & M Restorations.
Old 01-15-2003, 10:03 AM
Lasse
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Drop-in ignition update? (Missileman)

I have a Accel dual-pointer dist now, and I have thought of an upgrade to pointless.
Do the ignitors I/II work with a MSD6AL box?
Old 01-15-2003, 07:48 PM
vettfixr
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

I installed a Pertronix Ignitor in my 74 at least 3 years ago and I haven't had to touch it yet. Dollar for dollar it's one of the best, easiest, and economical mods I've made to my car. I agree that you should go with the original Ignitor and not the lobe sensing model. The one I have has a magnetic ring that fits under the rotor and a pickup that replaces the points. Put it in, connect the red wire to the plus side of the coil and the black wire to the minus side of the coil and you're done. Dwell and idle haven't changed since I installed it and it starts immediately every time. For a review on the product that I did along with others here's the link: https://www.corvetteforum.com/review...=221&TopicID=2

Get notified of new replies

To Drop-in ignition update?

Quick Reply: Drop-in ignition update?