C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

installed a rod 6 speed help

Old 01-13-2003, 10:25 PM
gravismaximus
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default installed a rod 6 speed help

i did the conversion from auto to the 6 speed as many of you know because i asked so many questions about it befor i started. its all done and i even put on a custom true dual 3 inch exhaust, but im sad because i cant drive it untill may, stupid new york road salt. but when i had a nice day i took it down the drive way a couple of times, and then quickly washed it. my problum is this when i try to put it in reverse it grinds going in, and its hard to get it into first. i did use the pin tool in the shifter when installing the shifter linkage and when i put it in the car, so i dont think its mis adjusted linkage. what im hoping it is is i also put in a light wieght flywheel and a dual frition center force clutch and presser plate. is my problum just because these are so new, including the tranny is new. the clutch peadle seems to be fine, its high and it goes to the floor when pressed, in fact befor i intalled the tranny i looked at the clutch fork with the pedal pressed and it looks like the clutch comes away from the clutch disc. dont the center force work off from rpm's as well the faster it goes the more cintrifical force it applies? well anyway any idea why this is. i do know i dont wanna pull the tranny again, dont wanna drop the custom exhaust. HELP :auto: :steering: :banghead: :grouphug:
Old 01-14-2003, 12:26 AM
69 N.O.X. RATT
Safety Car

Location: Pettis Performance 565 with two stages of Nitrous Supply nitrous 1.082, 4.61 at 155, 7.17 at 192
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Re: installed a rod 6 speed help (gravismaximus)

I have the ROD in my car with a Centerforce dual friction. I fought clutch problems for a while before I got it figured out. The chances are 99% you do not have the clutch adjusted correctly. You need to adjust it so the fork pushes the clutch farther away from the flywheel. What gave me fits in my car is the clutch fork would bind against the body and not allow any more adjustment. Turned out the ball and fork were worn out.

Be sure you have some free play in the clutch pedal so you dont burn up the throwout bearing. I would say 1-2 turns on one of the adjustment nuts and you will be fine.

You will love that tranny when you get it right :auto:
Old 01-14-2003, 01:48 AM
Darkness
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Re: installed a rod 6 speed help (69 N.O.X. RATT)

I could also be bad syncronizers!

Later :cheers:
Old 01-14-2003, 10:15 AM
MassVette
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: installed a rod 6 speed help (gravismaximus)

Sounds like the clutch isn't disengaging enough........check the clutch rod adjustment; if not, then maybe the throwout bearing needs to have a longer neck (I believe there are two sizes). Also, check the frame pivot mount for the Z-bar, to make sure it's not moving when you depress the pedal. Any movement in the linkage assembly will take up throw on the clutch.
BTW, EXCELLENT choice for the trans.- I have them in both 'vettes, and LOVE 'em!
:yesnod: :chevy :chevy :yesnod:
Old 01-14-2003, 04:21 PM
NHvette
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Default Re: installed a rod 6 speed help (Darkness)

Yeah - I thought syncros at first - but reverse AND first - AND a new tranny.
Most likely the clutch is rubbing.
:seeya

Get notified of new replies

To installed a rod 6 speed help

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: installed a rod 6 speed help