C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Summit headers, MAD dual, and Summit mufflers

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2003, 08:14 PM
79corvette
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Summit headers, MAD duals, and Summit mufflers

I am replacing my entire exhaust system on my 79 L-48 auto. I want to put on Summit Racing headers(not block huggers) and MAD's dual exhaust, with Summit turbo mufflers. Would I lose any torque? I want all the low end torque with a little Hp. Is it worth putting headers? I've read other exhaust posts but doesn't really mention if the headers will hurt torque, helps Hp though(heard aound 20?). Also if anyone is running the Summit mufflers, how loud are they? Louder is better.
Thanks for the help. Sorry for another exhaust question.

[Modified by 79corvette, 1:17 AM 1/14/2003]
Old 01-14-2003, 12:07 PM
jerryp58
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Summit headers, MAD duals, and Summit mufflers (79corvette)

I'll get you back to the top with my limited knowledge...

If you're running a stock L48 then I would think you wouldn't want primary tubes too big or you may lose a notiecable amount of low end torque. I'm not sure what size Summit's racing headers are, but I think 1-5/8" is a pretty decent size that will add HP with no real noticeable hit on low end torque.

Someone with header experience can chime in and correct me if I'm wrong.

I can't say what the Summit mufflers are like either, but I would think if you are replacing a 2-1-2 system with a CC and going to headers with no CCs, then you'll have a nice increase in volume.
Old 01-14-2003, 08:03 PM
79corvette
Racer

Default Re: Summit headers, MAD duals, and Summit mufflers (jerryp58)

jerryp58
Thanks for your help. I'm definatly going to get the duals since my stock exhaust has a few holes in it. And the last time I saw Popular Hotrodding was(think that's the name) was at least 3 weeks ago on TNN.

I am thinking of getting an Edlebrock Performer intake manifold instead of the headers to get some torque. My goal is to evetually get to 400 ft lb of torque. Any suggestions on a a setup to get to 400 ft lb of torque while increasing Hp.
Old 01-15-2003, 12:19 AM
tnt76vette
Drifting

Default Re: Summit headers, MAD duals, and Summit mufflers (jerryp58)

I think Jerry is rite.....but sound is a matter of personal preference....MAD's Chambered Pipes are about the loudest you are gonna find....they get it done for me....calm them down w/H pipe if they are toooooo loud........ :D :D :D
Old 01-15-2003, 12:28 AM
tnt76vette
Drifting

Default Re: Summit headers, MAD duals, and Summit mufflers (79corvette)

Just noticed your last reply......My set up as it is now, gets me about 410ft/lbs of torque with about 340HP according to the DeskDyno. My cam is kind of whimpy now but it went in a couple of years ago when I was basically stock. An XE 262 or XE 268 would put me up to about 375HP while torque would remain about the same. Hope this helps you........ :yesnod:

Get notified of new replies

To Summit headers, MAD dual, and Summit mufflers

Quick Reply: Summit headers, MAD dual, and Summit mufflers