C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How difficult / expensive is doing your own welding?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2003, 04:41 PM
Brett K
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Default How difficult / expensive is doing your own welding?

I am building my own utility trailer for parts/toy hauling and jumped head first into building my own from an old pop up frame. I probably don't need to but I have decided I must make a stronger frame. I got a quote from a local shop to do just the side rails and and A frame out of 3/16 inch 1" x 3" steelhollow tubing and the quote was $490 for a 5ft by 9ft trailer. I can buy a new one for $700, but I am determined to do this since I have already rebuilt the axle, brakes, and ordered new wheels and tires for the stupid thing. I was hoping you guys could relate to dumping too much time and money in projects that you can just go out and buy. I guess most of us vette owners enjoy the bloody knuckles and frustrations of doing it yourself:)

My questions are can I learn to weld on my own? What kind of used equipment should I look for to work with metal no thicker than 1/4 inch that won't break the bank? What should I be paying for 3/16 and 1/4 inch angled steel and tubing?
Old 01-13-2003, 05:31 PM
burners
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

Default Re: How difficult / expensive is doing your own welding? (Brett K)

You can get a new MIG welder for about $350. The Home Depot has them. They are very forgiving and easy for beginners to use. I would get a few books from the library to supplement the video that comes with the welder. It's important to learn how to properly weld if you have to trust the welds, so take the time to read up on it. You could probably find a used MIG welder for cheaper. I would guess steel tubing would go for $1 to $2 per foot.
Old 01-13-2003, 05:32 PM
rexx78
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have seen some flux core machines (FCAW) for around $200 CDN. FCAW is fairly simple to use, just attach the ground, pull down the shield, and pull the trigger. Welding shops tend to prefer this process if the weld procedure allows it because of its faster deposition rates and ease of use.

Gas metal arc welding (GMAW commonly called MIG) is also fairly easy to learn. Basically the same as FCAW, except you use an inert gas for the arc shielding instead of the flux rolled into the core of the wire on FCAW. Probably a little more expensive due to the bottle of NI, CO2 or Helium you need as well as the buzz box.

Stick welding (SMAW) is probably the most difficult to learn, but any backyard mechanic can still learn it. SMAW is difficult to weld the thin plate with, easily burnt through, but it is still the most commonly used process in the oil field.

Any backyard mechanic can learn to weld, I would recommend a FCAW or GMAW welder (I have seen hybrids that can do both). If you were to get a wire like an ER-70X, you would be okay, the 70 meaning 70 000 psi tensile strength, try to stay close to the tensile strength of the steel.

Any welders out there can disagree, all my knowledge of welding is from books, but I have found that FCAW or GMAW was the easiest for me to learn on.

Hope this helps out and practice on a few test pieces, and have a good grinding disk ready for the oopses... :)

Sorry, I don't know the prices of steel.
Old 01-13-2003, 05:45 PM
bb69
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I would recommend learning to weld with an oxygen/acetelene(sp) torch setup. The reason for this is that you have to judge how much heat you applys, and the motion required to make a good bead. However, if you don't have that much time, or want to spend the extra money, I would agree that the machine at Home Depot is decent. I believe they offer the 110V Lincoln "MIG" welder. MIG is in quotes because the welder comes setup for flux-core wire. This is a great welder for light use. For heavier use, you can plan on spending $1000 for the same welder setup for true MIG use, with gas, and 240V.

Learning to weld is actually pretty easy. Learning to weld well, is another story. There are people who can weld aluminum foil to a train track. This is the kind of skill required for aerospace. You don't need that much skill. Find some scrap metal and practice. Then, cut some welds apart and see how much penetration you got, and if it's even. Also, try the drop test, where you drop two pieces you just welded.

My best piece of advice is to spend some money on an automatic darkening helmet. This makes welding much easier.

Good luck.
Old 01-13-2003, 05:52 PM
stpman
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: How difficult / expensive is doing your own welding? (rexx78)

The easiest to learn is GMAW (or MIG), I don't like using FMAW unless I have to (that's just me though). If you plan on trying to weld tubing that is 1/8 wall thickness (or thicker) don't get a Mig machine any smaller than 130 Amps, the dudy cycle of the machine will be too small! as for tubing, you don't need to use 3/16 wall tubing rof a utility trailer. I've build a 5'x8' utility trailer (1500lbs capacity) and a 14" beaver tail car trailer (carried a 85 Buick Riv and my 77 Sierra 1/2 ton) and both are made of 1/8" wall tubing (2"x3" for the box trailer and 2"x4" for the car trailer). Here in Southern Ontario I am paying around $54 for 24' of 2"x3"x1/8 wall.

Steve

[Modified by stpman, 10:53 PM 1/13/2003]
Old 01-13-2003, 06:16 PM
Wrencher
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Your already scr**ed on the cost, so go the MIG route. Good skill to have.

Hans
Old 01-13-2003, 06:57 PM
72GACRZR
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Oh never mind, I miss read the title, thought it said "wedding", I need to clean my glasses. :seeya
Old 01-13-2003, 07:08 PM
Brett K
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: How difficult / expensive is doing your own welding? (stpman)

stpman,
I am planning on using the 1/8" for the side rails and only using the 3/16" for a 4-5 ft channel in the center to mount the haydraulic brake actuator/coupler.
I think I will be looking for a used MIG welder and head to Barnes and Noble for some good books. I already have a 220 line set up in the garage. I have even stumbled into some welding forums on the net, but they seem a bit over my head. I have no knowledge of welding at this point so I need to start from scratch. The nice thing is my neighbor is pretty skilled in welding so I can have him check my work. I was just starting to feel bad showing up at his door with beer and some steel every time I needed some welding done. Thanks guys.

Get notified of new replies

To How difficult / expensive is doing your own welding?

Quick Reply: How difficult / expensive is doing your own welding?