C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

a little embarrassing...

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2003, 02:34 PM
77Dream
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default a little embarrassing...

Well, I recently bought my first vette (hopefully not my last) and im in the proccess of restoring it. This morning I decided to drive it to work, so it just isnt sitting all the time, and had a little problem. There was some condensation on the windshield and figured a quick turn of the wipers would fix that.... just one problem. I cant figure out how to turn them on. :bb There doesnt seem to be any switch on the steering column, like most cars, or anywhere else for that matter. I think the switch might be missing, but I could not see where one would go.

If anyone could tell me where it is (or should be) I would be greatfull. Thanks

ps A pic would be even better.
Old 01-13-2003, 02:38 PM
Mystery Machine
Drifting

Default Re: a little embarrassing... (77Dream)

Congrats on your new car!!!! I have never been inside a '77 but on my '73 the wiper control is on the dash, in the middle at the top. It looks like a little button and you slide it to the right to turn the wipers on and push it in to squirt fluid. Sorry I don't have a pic but someone must!
:cheers:
Old 01-13-2003, 02:39 PM
rdrman
Racer

On my 74 its in the center of the dashboard above the 2 vents
Old 01-13-2003, 02:41 PM
terryrudy
Drifting

On '77 its on the steering column, lefthand side there is a turn signal switch. Just turn the lever and you got wiper action.

Mine broke off so I don't have signals or wipers either! :eek:
-terry

[Modified by terryrudy, 11:41 AM 1/13/2003]
Old 01-13-2003, 03:02 PM
77Dream
Drifting

Default Re: a little embarrassing... (terryrudy)

Thanks for your help guys!!! I never thought of twisting the turn signal switch, I tried pulling it in and figured out that was for the highbeams. I should have thought of twisting it.

Thanks again!
Old 01-13-2003, 03:02 PM
MasterDave

Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts

It's ok bro, we're all learning. Do not be afraid to ask on this forum, we love to help all vette owners new and old. :yesnod: On a side note here my buddy came to me with his new Maxima a year or so ago and was in a panic. He's only had older cars and it seems his new ricer headlights were stuck on hi beam. Everybody on the road at night was giving the flash/horn routine and try as he might, no matter where he stomped on the floor boards he couldn't find the hi beam switch. :crazy: You shoulda seen the deer-in-the-headlights look I got when I told him to pull back on the turn signal lever. I still chuckle whenever I think of it, mainly because I did the same thing. :lol:
Old 01-13-2003, 06:05 PM
page62
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Be very gentle with that turn signal column. GM had to put the wiper switch back on the dash in '78 because the turn signal stalk kept breaking -- too far ahead of its time I guess... :smash:
Old 01-13-2003, 07:40 PM
PRNDL
Team Owner

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

I should have thought of twisting it.

!
No you shouldn't have! :lol: Who would EVER think of TWISTING their turn signal to turn on their wipers?? W T F ????!!!?!? :lol: MJ
Old 01-13-2003, 08:23 PM
Crash Dummy
Safety Car

St. Jude Contributor

I'm thoroughly convinced that all new car owners should drive the thing home and close the garage door. Then.... and only then.... do you start tinkering with all the switches & levers to see what they do. That way you only look like an idiot to the immediate family. And to be safe... send the family to a movie while you do it so only the dog has insight to your dunceness. Odds are his IQ is only slightly higher than a new car owner and will not tell. :D

By the way.... did they put windshield wipers on '68's? Never seen one that had them in working order is so. I figured that door behind the hood was some cowl induction thing like the SS Chevelles had.

Just a cheap shot at GM's first C-3 engineer who designed that along with a cooling system that probably should have been on a Vega. Then again... maybe that was his project too.
Old 01-13-2003, 11:35 PM
PRNDL
Team Owner

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

Default Re: a little embarrassing... (bgrice)

By the way.... did they put windshield wipers on '68's?
I can assure you my 68 corvette does indeed have windshield wipers underneath that door. I can raise the door and show them to you! But they don't work! :lol: MJ
Old 01-13-2003, 11:41 PM
Jim Shea
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

Terry Rudy,
Look up your http://www.Corvettefaq.com websight and look under Steering. The second to the last two postings in that section are:
Turn Lever Stub Removal - 1977-82
Turn Lever Stub Too Pics

All you have to do is make the two simple tools that I have described and sketched and the broken stub can be removed without tearing down the steering column. You still have to purchase a new lever however.

Good luck,
Jim Shea
Old 01-14-2003, 12:15 AM
Crash Dummy
Safety Car

St. Jude Contributor
Default Re: a little embarrassing... (MNJack)

I can assure you my 68 corvette does indeed have windshield wipers underneath that door. I can raise the door and show them to you! But they don't work! :lol: MJ
MNJack....

The '68 Vette is a piece of art as it was the start of 15 straight years of the best body style that any manufacturer ever put out without making radical changes to inspire people to buy them. Glad to see you took humor in my post... as I do with GM going to 195HP(& less) in the mid 70's vettes. NOT!

I'd love to have a big block. I'll tinker toy my way up there with aftermarket stuff. Not gonna screw with the original 3-legged mouse wheel engine though... it will stay intact as a sad case of no horsepower.

Old 01-14-2003, 11:19 AM
terryrudy
Drifting

Default Re: a little embarrassing... (Jim Shea)

:lol:
Yeah, Jim, I remember you posting those. I have it on my list of things to do its just I never drive it in the rain anyway, so have been NOT looking forward to that job. You make it look too easy! haha

My resolution for the year is to fix the few little nagging things with the Vette, and that is one of them. :)

thanks
-terry

Get notified of new replies

To a little embarrassing...

Quick Reply: a little embarrassing...