C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fan Questions- Permacool Vs OEM Vs Spal

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2003, 10:38 AM
xrated
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fan Questions- Permacool Vs OEM Vs Spal

Anyone have an idea what CFM a factory fan set would do. Im looking at the Perma Cool 16" or 18" fan set up. I have concerns regarding using the CFM rating. If the 16" fan pulls 2900 cfm is this only over a 16" diameter? The 18" fan claims only 2000 CFM. This would seem like a large drop in CFM but a large increase in surface area. The dual spall set up seems as though the plastic casing creates a shroud that covers 90% of the radiator. The Permacool has no shroud. I would go with the Dual Spals but would have to import them from the US, also they are very expensive compared to the Permacool set up.
Old 01-13-2003, 10:51 AM
Smokehouse69
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Default Re: Fan Questions- Permacool Vs OEM Vs Spal (xrated)

You might check and see if the Spal's are available from an Australian distributor. They are actually a company out of Italy and used on many of the high priced European cars.
I have the Spals and they work wonderfully, the temp never gets about 195 degrees, even setting and idling for 45 minutes in a warm garage, with A/C on and an old copper radiator.
The problem with believing the ratings of other fan manufacturers is that their CFM ratings are done in open air. Spal rates their fans running against a radiator, so you get a real world flow reading under a load, not a no load reading.
Old 01-13-2003, 10:59 AM
xrated
Racer

Default Re: Fan Questions- Permacool Vs OEM Vs Spal (Smokehouse69)

I have just email Spal. I wonder if those 11" fans are fitting as an OEM to an autralian delivered vehicle.

Actually the price for the Dual Spals is not that bad. $270 From DeWitts. Anyone deal with them? Are these the right ones

http://www.dewitts.com/pages/product...asp?ProdID=211

[Modified by xrated, 10:06 AM 1/13/2003]
Old 01-13-2003, 11:26 AM
Smokehouse69
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

That's where I got mine from, Tom DeWitt is a supporting vendor and a first class guy to deal with. I bought the whole package from him including the wiring harness and sensor. It was a very easy install, once I pulled my head out of my butt! :D
Old 01-13-2003, 12:58 PM
pws69
Melting Slicks

Received 40 Likes on 30 Posts

I have just email Spal. I wonder if those 11" fans are fitting as an OEM to an autralian delivered vehicle.

Actually the price for the Dual Spals is not that bad. $270 From DeWitts. Anyone deal with them? Are these the right ones

http://www.dewitts.com/pages/product...asp?ProdID=211

[Modified by xrated, 10:06 AM 1/13/2003]
That's a good price, but you don't get any of the important additional items like brackets, relays, wiring, and thermostat. The "package deal" (SP460) is also a very good price - hgher, but contains everything you need to install it correctly.
Paul

Old 01-14-2003, 10:38 AM
MassVette
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dual 11" SPALS are the way to go......just use a relay for each fan. They draw some amperage because of the High Flow rating. They cool my ZZ/502 just fine, BTW.......

:yesnod: :chevy :chevy

Oh, yeah- I forgot to mention that I had the Permacool fan on the car first. It melted after 3 days. IMHO-NFG.
:lol: :lol:

[Modified by MassVette, 12:40 PM 1/14/2003]
Old 01-14-2003, 07:51 PM
914eener
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Fan Questions- Permacool Vs OEM Vs Spal (MassVette)

I've got my SPAL's and aluminum radiator from Tom. Great guy to deal with. Highly recommended!!
Old 01-14-2003, 09:08 PM
xrated
Racer

Default Re: Fan Questions- Permacool Vs OEM Vs Spal (914eener)

Melting permacool. No Thanks. Ive decided to order the dual spals from Tom. Ill give him a call tonight and order them. Even got a large discount as a Vetteforum member. Very Happy.
Gee this engine replacement is costing me and arm and leg. First the engine, then the big block hood, the Spals, new radiator, new steering box...still need to rebuild the trans. All i intended to do was rebuild my steering box!

Get notified of new replies

To Fan Questions- Permacool Vs OEM Vs Spal

Quick Reply: Fan Questions- Permacool Vs OEM Vs Spal