C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Air Bag Steering Wheel Conversion?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2003, 12:14 AM
flynhi
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Air Bag Steering Wheel Conversion?

Anyone tried to install a late model Vette steering wheel with air bag in a C3?
Old 01-13-2003, 12:36 AM
Tom73
Race Director

Received 470 Likes on 279 Posts

Default Re: Air Bag Steering Wheel Conversion? (flynhi)

Will,
I would really be concerned about getting the sensors set right. Would hate to have it inflate while driving down the road because of a pot hole :(

tom...
Old 01-13-2003, 08:01 AM
Jim Shea
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

You should NEVER, EVER attempt to install an air bag steering wheel into any car that it was not designed for. :nono:
Old 01-13-2003, 12:15 PM
BSeery
Team Owner

Location: Exiled to Richmond, VA - Finally sold my house in Murfreesboro, TN ?? Corner of "Bumf*&k and 'You've got a purdy mouth'."
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
CI 6-7-8 Veteran
CI-VIII Burnout Champ
St. Jude Donor '06-'10, '13

Default Re: Air Bag Steering Wheel Conversion? (Jim Shea)

You should NEVER, EVER attempt to install an air bag steering wheel into any car that it was not designed for. :nono:
:iagree:

Those thing have killed people. Repair technicians and thieves who try to snag them for money have been seriously injured or even killed when the air bag went off unexpectedly.
Old 01-13-2003, 09:19 PM
flynhi
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Hi Jim,
After reading all the posts you have authored on steering columns, I am convinced that you know what you are talking about. So I won't try it.
But I am curious as to why this is so difficult and dangerous.
Can you educate me?
Old 01-14-2003, 02:43 PM
Jim Shea
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

Here are a couple of reasons why NOT to try and install an airbag steering wheel into a vehicle that was not designed for it. The supplemental inflatable restraint system has to be integrated into the entire vehicle in order to work properly. Here are a couple of reasons:

1) The computer that monitors and sets off the explosive charge in the airbag is integrated into the vehicle computer. There is no "stand-alone" computer to do the work in a C3.
2). "Old Style" non-airbag steering columns were designed to collapse at around a 500 pound crush load. With an airbag the column has to be designed to collapse at over 1000 pounds.
3). Airbag equipped cars have what is called a knee bolster under and on either side of the steering column. The driver's knees strike the bolster and keep the driver erect so that he/she hits (or is hit by) the airbag correctly.
4). The front end "crush" of the vehicle has to be taken into account with respect to the sensors and timing the inflation of the airbag.
5). With the slip rings required in the steering column and the wiring associated with the sensors, computer, steering column, etc it would be extremely difficult, (if not impossible) to correctly wire the system in an older car.
Old 01-14-2003, 03:42 PM
Shark Racer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

In other words, the air bag system is kinda like the heater core. They hung it from a wire, then built the car around it!

How about 5-point seatbelts for your car instead?

-Steve
Old 01-14-2003, 09:22 PM
8T1-7T9 BIONIC VETTE
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: Air Bag Steering Wheel Conversion? (Pacin'California)

I always thought C3 fiberglass cars are like an air bag in a frontal impact....The fiberglass absorbs most of the energy.......I watched a Corvette go into the side of a station wagon full of people.....Crushed most of the front into a ball of fiberglass....the driver walked away.....Minor scratches and bruises to the occupants of the station wagon......No need for an air bag......You're already driving one. :seeya Cappy

Get notified of new replies

To Air Bag Steering Wheel Conversion?

Quick Reply: Air Bag Steering Wheel Conversion?