C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ARRRRGGGG! PWR/WNDOW REGULATOR REBUILD

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2003, 09:07 PM
Edzred72
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default ARRRRGGGG! PWR/WNDOW REGULATOR REBUILD

OK...this has to be the most troublesome, pain in the azz job I've done so far. No doubt about it. Although it's my first time, removal of the regulator and glass took nearly 3 hours. I bought a complete rebuild kit which included the gear, spring, rivits, and rollers. That wasn't too bad to do, but I did make one mistake. Forgot to mark the position of the regulator gear in relationship to the motor gear when I disassembled it. :conehead Does anyone have a suggestion on how to line them up before install into the door???
Thanks Guys
Eddie
Old 01-12-2003, 09:41 PM
IETEK
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: ARRRRGGGG! PWR/WNDOW REGULATOR REBUILD (Silvr77)

I can't be of any help but I am interested if you would post a few tips on this job I have yet to rebuild mine. It's on the to do list!

Tan 77, L-48, 4/spd,ac. pwr. windows.
Old 01-12-2003, 11:56 PM
Ric's80_4sp
Instructor

I don't think it matters on the alignment of the motor gear to the regulator gear. The motor does not have a predetermine stopping points rather it rotates until a certain resistance builds up. Other words the motor will rotate in the direction on which way the switch is flipped until the motor detects resistance. I did a complete overhaul to my 80 (new regulators, rollers , electric motors..) and just bolted the motor to the regulator and everything works fine.

Good Luck
ric
Old 01-13-2003, 01:48 AM
Tron79
Intermediate

Default Re: ARRRRGGGG! PWR/WNDOW REGULATOR REBUILD (Ric's80_4sp)

:iagree:
Same here. I rebuilt my 79 pwr windows exactly the same and had no problems. Except, I didn't put the new spring in exactly the same position as the old one. It works fine even though I didn't.
You're right, though... It was a huge pain getting my hands and tools through the few minature holes in the door. I don't think GM ever had any intent to make the regulator and internal door parts "end-user serviceable".
I replaced the power switches in the center console, as well as the regulator set-ups. It was a pain, but fairly straight forward.
Old 01-13-2003, 08:13 AM
Edzred72
Le Mans Master

Thanks for the replies guys. I slept better with no nightmares last night knowing the position doesn't matter.
IETEC: Tips on disassembly?....yeah...use small tools and munchkin hands. :D Honestly, it was my first time doing this and I flew by the seat of my pants figuring things out as I went. Practically everything in the door has door come out. Have all your tools at arms reach, and a towel to protect the bottom of the glass as you struggle. Before taking the regulator apart on the bench...draw a detailed pic of it to avoid mistakes during re-assembly later. I rivited all the new parts carfully, so there is no room for mistakes when you rivit. Take your time, and study the mechinisum. Good Luck!! :cheers:
Eddie
Old 01-13-2003, 10:31 AM
Bobchad
Burning Brakes

Also, is doesn't hurt to have the instructions published by Zip either.

I have a link to it on my page.
http://home.attbi.com/~jchadwick/Tec...Assistance.HTM

Get notified of new replies

To ARRRRGGGG! PWR/WNDOW REGULATOR REBUILD

Quick Reply: ARRRRGGGG! PWR/WNDOW REGULATOR REBUILD