C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Interior Trim Repair Help

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2003, 09:04 PM
WhyFly
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Interior Trim Repair Help

Hi Folks..I'm trying to repair a broken tab for the rear window trim deck in my 79 coupe. There are six of them to hopd the trim in place. They are a fiberglass tab attached to the main body with a flat metal slide type scew receptor over them. The front one behind the passenger seat has broken free which allows the trim piece to rattle about..Any ideas from one of you experienced detail folks out there how I might mold or fasten a new piece of material to screw the trim piece in to place...Looking for a solution, trying not to BUBBA...Thanks You Guys...
Old 01-12-2003, 09:13 PM
Smokehouse69
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Default Re: Interior Trim Repair Help (WhyFly)

Well, this might be a Bubba solution, if it is hidden you can use an A+B epoxy putty. It is a two part putty that you mix together like modeling clay and mold where ever you want.
If it isn't hidden then you might have to get creative and cover the repaired area with a vinyl repair kit. The are available at Wal-Mart or autoparts stores and will effectivly mask or repair cracks and defects in vinyl trim.
The only true non-Bubba fix is to replace the broken parts with new, but as long as it doesn't involve duct tape, a tin can or bailing wire, Bubba would probably consider it beneath him.
Good Luck!
Old 01-12-2003, 10:08 PM
Big Fish
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Cruise-In 5-6-7-8-9-11-12 Veteran
A CI-6 Car Show Winner

I would get some of that 3-M panel adhesive #8115 and use it to bond a piece of heavy sheet metal in there to receive the screw. You should be able to get that adhesive wherever body shop materials are sold in your area. It is used to bond steel panels together, it is plenty strong. This is a 2-part product, kind of pricey but I don't think you will have any problem with it coming apart.

[Modified by Big Fish, 9:11 PM 1/12/2003]
Old 01-13-2003, 12:10 AM
WhyFly
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow...that was quick...what a great bunch. Thanks so much you guys..I think I'm going to try and use the piece that broke off...Managed to save it..and I think I'll go with the two part epoxy. Out in the garage after I posted the note and realized that it doesn't really hold any weight, so it should hold it alright. You can't see it as the deck piece covers it. Once I get it back in place, I'll just use a little extra epoxy to strengthen it up...I'll just have to be darn careful with my golf clubs next year... :D

Get notified of new replies

To Interior Trim Repair Help

Quick Reply: Interior Trim Repair Help