C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dash pad repair question.

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2003, 10:23 AM
ImBatman
Safety Car

Received 161 Likes on 49 Posts

Default Dash pad repair question.

I have about an inch straight tear in my dash pad. It is not buckled and the rest of the pad is in perfect condition. Is there a product out there that you can use to repair small tears? Have any of you guys used it? How did it turn out? Where did you get it? I remember something advertised on TV several years ago that used a brush on liquid and then an iron but this is probably to good to be true. :cheers:
Old 01-12-2003, 11:47 AM
Smokehouse69
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Default Re: Dash pad repair question. (BlackRat)

I found a kit from Permatex at Wal-Mart last weekend. I used it to repair an inch square of missing plastic from one of my windshield support covers. It was very easy to use.
Basically you cut a piece of the vinyl backing to fill in the hole, then shove it in under the edges of the hole. Put some vinyl sealant over the whole of the backing and around the edges. Then let it dry for 4 hours. After it dries, spread the matching colored paint/filler over the backing and the edge, then place the texturing paper over the whole area, and tape it in place. Get a hot iron (they provide a small tool to do the job, but I just used the wife's iron) and iron over the area for about a minute. Wait until the backing paper is cool and peal it off. You can go back and add more of the paint/filler and re-do if needed. The repair was nearly perfect, since it was such a big area the color difference was noticeable, it was duller looking than my original vinyl, but a coat of vinyl paint would probably take car of that. I just slobbered it with Armorall and it looks good enough for me (a he!! of a lot better than the hole with foam showing.)
For your slit, it should even be easier, just put some of the Vinyl glue over the slit, and let it dry, then cover with the paint/filler and iron the texture paper over the area. It should be nearly invisible. The kits work pretty darned good, now I don't know how they would hold up in a high stress area like a seat, but for a dash pad or door cover they are good medicine.
Old 01-12-2003, 01:29 PM
ImBatman
Safety Car

Received 161 Likes on 49 Posts

Default Re: Dash pad repair question. (Smokehouse69)

Thanks this is just what I was looking for. I am changing the color of my interioranyway so I will be spraying the whole pad. This beats 3-400 for a new one. Thanks for the info. :cheers:

Get notified of new replies

To Dash pad repair question.

Quick Reply: Dash pad repair question.