C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Almost Died Tonight!!!

Old 01-12-2003, 01:38 AM
HcDave1
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Almost Died Tonight!!!

i was at the street racing kicking some rice butt..... I got up against my frined and im pushing 14 times. Well we take off all great i was catching up to him and I WON. but as i go to stop my breaks lock up in the up position so i cant push the pedle down at all so im comming like 130MPH towards a dead end street. I was lucky enough to have long enough room to coast down slow enough to bust a little 540 spin to a complete stop, and something told mw i should ahve tightened the ebrake b4 i left..... Lets just say i wont be running that car till i fix every problem on that car from new wheels, alignment, BRAKES. Its no rummor you see your life flash in frount of 4 when your near death it was crazy. Any ideas why my breaks just locked in the up position like that?
Old 01-12-2003, 01:46 AM
Wilson6t7
Race Director

Default Re: Almost Died Tonight!!! (HcDave1)

:eek: Anyone really not like you or somethin?
Old 01-12-2003, 01:56 AM
JoeC427
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I always try to do a nut and bolt, prior to street racing at the local drag strip.
Glad you didn't have a :banghead: Take it to the strip dude, it's a lot safer. It's bad press for all of us if a Corvette is seen on the news or in the newspaper involved in a street racing accident.
Old 01-12-2003, 02:16 AM
NorthVette
Racer

Default Re: Almost Died Tonight!!! (smokin75-427)

I always try to do a nut and bolt, prior to street racing at the local drag strip.
Glad you didn't have a :banghead: Take it to the strip dude, it's a lot safer. It's bad press for all of us if a Corvette is seen on the news or in the newspaper involved in a street racing accident.
:iagree: If you wanna race, take it to a track. Period. The life you save could be your own! [/ENDPREACH]
Old 01-12-2003, 04:12 AM
BB wowbagger
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Almost Died Tonight!!! (NorthVette)

Now thats just plain stupid...TAKE IT TO THE TRACK!!! :mad :mad
Old 01-12-2003, 04:12 AM
WashingtonRacer
Pro

gees, I had a similar situation happen. I was on the freeway exiting once, applied the brakes, and then the pedal went to the floor a the same time the wheels locked up for a second, then herd a loud snap and then I had no brakes at all. had to coast through some traffic, but brought her to a stop. Found out that my all rotors but 1 was replaced by the previous owner, this 1 rotor wore completly through and the piston shot out and locked the wheel then snapped the piston right out along with all the fluid of course.
But wait thats not all. Another close death situation occured when I was driving down in Reseda Cali, went around a corner, and started to hear a loud clunk clunk clunk from the rear, went to take a left into a parking lot, and snap my rear tire locks up and spins me around into oncomming traffic. I had no choice but to just gun it and drag the wounded car up into the parking lot. Got out and found my right rear tire sideways up in the wheel well. All the lugs snapped cause I had those damm wheel spacers in. Got rid of those right away. Good times.
Old 01-12-2003, 04:26 AM
HcDave1
Racer

Default Re: Almost Died Tonight!!!

yea i just run street when there is a bunch of domestics going out..... its really safe total courisy..... safty gear all that but yea im going to start taking it to the track on sat. and sunday nights. But what it was.... that hoes came undone i saw that when i got home i was like WTF so what wont happen again. i put it back on got a black twist tie and it was back to norm. It always something small that will kill yea. Live and learn, just glad i gotta live this time heh......

No need to get mad at the corvette oner for street racing he wont be doing that again :cheers: just wanna say sorry 4 giving you guys a bad name :sad:

[Modified by HcDave1, 9:47 AM 1/12/2003]
Old 01-12-2003, 07:48 AM
Armstrong
Burning Brakes

Live and Learn is Right. Glad to hear you got out of that one alright. It's hard not to shove your foot thru the floor sometimes when everyone wants to mess with you. Especially hard at your age. I haven't forgot. Take it easy and be carefull :cheers:
Old 01-12-2003, 10:02 AM
The Saint
Team Owner

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

Whatever.... :rolleyes:
Old 01-12-2003, 12:42 PM
SanDiegoPaul
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My first time down the 1320 1/4 mile. Whoaaaaa, NELLIE! I'm driving my quick '56 Belair. 11.5 pistons, hot cam, 4:56 rear and a 2.20 Low four speed. Ran Good ... on the street.

This was Beeline Dragway North of Scottsdale AZ, in the very early '70's. Back in the days of four-wheel drum brakes :smash: :nono: :smash:

Yes there were cars with four-wheel drum brakes :nono: :nono: :steering:

I ran about 14 seconds on my very first time down the 1320. I'm all of 18 years old or so .... :flag at the time. Well that track had a turnoff, just past the traps. In my excitement I was thinkin' .... OK so maybe I was NOT thinking woahh I better slow down and turn off HERE! :hat :hat :hat

I was in the left lane. I jammed on those drum brakes and Weee all four locked up. I jerked the wheel to the left and all of a sudden I was up on two wheels :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ahh, yes this was certainly another time that somebody up there was watching out for my sorry butt. :blueangel: The car didn't roll over :D :rolleyes:

But let's put it this way: I had to find new shorts before getting out of the car back in the pits :hat :conehead :jester
Old 01-12-2003, 01:21 PM
BSeery
Team Owner

Location: Exiled to Richmond, VA - Finally sold my house in Murfreesboro, TN ?? Corner of "Bumf*&k and 'You've got a purdy mouth'."
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
CI 6-7-8 Veteran
CI-VIII Burnout Champ
St. Jude Donor '06-'10, '13

Default Re: Almost Died Tonight!!! (SanDiegoPaul)

Here's a thought ....

How about racing at a track with shutdown lanes, sand traps and hay bales !!

Street racers :rolleyes:
Old 01-12-2003, 05:16 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

Two points:
1) Dragstrip
2) Merriam-Webster
http://www.m-w.com/home.htm

Old 01-12-2003, 05:28 PM
Smokehouse69
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Default Re: Almost Died Tonight!!! (paul79)

:iagree:
Old 01-12-2003, 05:56 PM
'79ProwlerOrange
Safety Car

Default Re: Almost Died Tonight!!! (Smokehouse69)

you guys have to realize that street racing is why we have muscle cars. or did you forget? which dosent make it smart, but i bet everyone of you who has said keep it at the track, has street raced. probably had fun too. but i bet you learned your lesson one way or another, As dave recently has. i learned by being to a few ricer ones, and even more domestic ones. being 5ft away from a 200shot NOS backfire that shoots a fireball out of the hood of a 10 second mustang will teach you something. watching how bad all those ricers drive will too. Street racing has been arround forever and will never go away. its just now starting to get some press.

either way, dave im glad your allright. how was the show in the morning?

PS your running 13-14 second times... think of how much less time to think you would have had running 10s... and how much faster you would have been going. pretty spooky stuff. :yesnod:
Old 01-13-2003, 01:42 AM
BeachinVette
Drifting

Default Re: Almost Died Tonight!!! ('79ProwlerOrange)

I have to agree with Ben, We are not adding hp all the time for looks. I have only been in 1 street race with my vette it was a good friend in his porsche we lined up on US-1 3rd light south of the Melbourne causway 5 lanes we were both first at the light it turned green I was looking in my mirrors for the police man and my buddy takes off talk about slow reaction time on my part. We were going to 60 mph then shutting it down I was two cars lengths behind him when I stomped it. I still took him fast and was 4 lengths ahead when I hit 60 mph. It was fun. He is adding turbos and all kinds of goodies under his hood now he did not take well to being spanked. I am working on the same the nearest track is in Orlando, so a little fun should not be flamed to hard now I do not agree with racing in any kind of traffic or populated areas.
Bob
Old 01-13-2003, 02:39 AM
HcDave1
Racer

Default Re: Almost Died Tonight!!!

i agree never race on public streets thats just planer out stupid we take it after hours in a trucking busness area with 4 lanes and 2 cars at 1ce and you line up and then you drive back on the far lane its well orgaized away from anyone who doesnt want to be the races...... Still agree with keeping it on the track but some times the street races are really fun to be in

Get notified of new replies

To Almost Died Tonight!!!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Almost Died Tonight!!!