C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replace A/C Blower Fan?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2003, 12:36 AM
bl75vette
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Replace A/C Blower Fan?

A few months ago there were a few postings about someone going to replace their a/c blower fan with a '95 one that can be purchased at Autozone. I know it has a larger fan and more RPM's. Now that winter has settled in here in the northeast, I beginning to dream about summer. Has anyone converted their fan motor and if so, is it worth the effort?
Old 01-12-2003, 02:28 AM
Doc Rebuild
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Replace A/C Blower Fan? (bl75vette)

The original fans move plenty of CFM. There is sufficient flow front a vent or heater/AC duct outlet if and only if the duct work is snug and all the joints are well sealed. It’s just like your house: if you have hot air heat with central air. If it escapes from the ducts, there is little flow from the vents. Seal up everything tight and then re-evaluate your need for a different fan. The original blower fan in my C2 will blow you away in the summer. The coldness of the AC out the LH and RH ducts is such that it will freeze your legs out if you have shorts on. I actually have to close them. I don’t do much or any winter driving with my c1, c2 and c3’s so heat is not a great factor, however I’ll bet it would help me loose weight if I did.

Geoffrey Coenen
NCRS #2473
NCM Lifetime #105
Precision Valley Corvette Museum Charter Member #20 (I think)
Vettehead #18-1
Retired #1 56, 63, 67, 68, 68, 69, 75, 99 and I want more! :D

PS R-134 apparently does not cool as well as R12. I have the real deal in my old cars.
Old 01-12-2003, 02:41 AM
88'Cubka
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Default Re: Replace A/C Blower Fan? (Doc Rebuild)

I just ran out my tank of R12.... :cry :cry And I was told I can't buy it anymore without a permit or something.... :cry :cry

Just thought I'd share.....lol :cheers:
Old 01-12-2003, 04:08 AM
BB wowbagger
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Replace A/C Blower Fan? (88'Cubka)

There is a replacement for R12.You only need to replace your filter.I think you dont even have to change the oil in the AC system. :cheers: :cheers:
Old 01-12-2003, 07:50 AM
Larry B.
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Replace A/C Blower Fan? (bl75vette)

I agree with Doc. My 69 has plenty of air flow. I did replace the blower with a GM current replacemt when the original gave out. The old blower was a "brush" type and the replacement is "brushless" . There was a noticable increase in airflow but the original was fine. ALL of the doors must work and all of the seals need to be in good shape. My stock system keeps me plenty cool even serviced with R134a.

Get notified of new replies

To Replace A/C Blower Fan?

Quick Reply: Replace A/C Blower Fan?