C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Will this work?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2003, 11:36 PM
68350hp
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Will this work?

The interior of my '68 was velor city when my grandmother bought it in 1980. This past summer it got most of it out. The only thing left are the seat covers. Anyway, the past owner cut two door inserts out of cardboard using a 70-77 woodgrain deluxe interiordoor insert for a pattern. The covered them in brown velor, put tacks on the backs, drilled holes in the dooe panles, and installed them. My father removed them shortly after my grandmother purchased the car. The holes are still there. Besides the holes and the missing the chrome trim strips, the door panels are perfect. If I fill the holes with putty, sand it down to match the the surface, then paint the area around the holes with Tobacco brown interior paint, will it fix it? Or will it not look good? Can you guys help?

[Modified by 68350hp, 11:38 PM 1/11/2003]

[Modified by 68350hp, 11:39 PM 1/11/2003]
Old 01-12-2003, 12:16 AM
Smokehouse69
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Default Re: Will this work? (68350hp)

If it is vinyl, get one the vinyl repair kits at Wal-Mart or an autoparts store and fill in the holes. I've used them to patch all sorts of vinyl with really good results. I just got through fixing the top of my driverside windshield post, the convertible top apparently rubbed through the vinyl down to the foam. I replaced the hunk of vinyl with material in the kit, glued it in place then filled it with the black filler in the kit. Applied heat through pattering paper provided with the kit with an iron (ironing clothes type iron) for about a minute and I had a near perfect repair. The kits come with about 8 colors and formulas to mix them with to provide a perfect match. The colors don't setup until you apply heat so you don't have to worry about speed.
I'm going to post pictures of the repairs in the next few days.

Quick Reply: Will this work?