C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Calling Auto to Manual trans conversion guy's. I have a question.

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2003, 08:42 PM
BeachinVette
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Calling Auto to Manual trans conversion guy's. I have a question.

I am going to start on my auto to manual tranny conversion soon. Do I need a different rear trans mount? I am putting in a M-20 wide ratio trans.

Here is a list of what I have if you see something I need please let me know.
1. trans/bellhousing
2.pedals
3.Z bar
4.clutch fork
5.corvette shifter
6.manual drive shaft from 69 vette
7. shifter plate.
8.yoke
9. aluminum flywheel

Things I must get
1. adjustable pivot ball
2.Z bar rebuild kit w/engine ball
3.return springs (should win those on ebay in 1 hour)
4.lower shifter boot
5.pilot bushing

Not sure about rear trans mount bracket
Bob

Thanks
Bob

[Modified by 76 Red, 12:00 PM 1/12/2003]
Old 01-11-2003, 11:14 PM
redvetracr
Race Director

Received 174 Likes on 160 Posts

Default Re: Calling Auto to Manual trans conversion guy's. I have a question. (76 Red)

Red,
Does that driveshaft have the big or small rear u-joint because your 76 (rear end) should take the big one and I think the 69 (driveshaft) is for the small one. And when you say M-20 is that the Muncie M-20?? as I think the Borg warner was also known as a M-20?? ...redvetracr
Old 01-12-2003, 11:57 AM
BeachinVette
Drifting

Default Re: Calling Auto to Manual trans conversion guy's. I have a question. (redvetracr)

racr
I can't answer your question yet I won't have the drive shaft till wed, I also have a 3:55 rearend that I will be replacing the 3:08 with. I remember back 16-18 years ago I did this conversion to a Pontiac Ventura "74". I had issues with the ujoints. I was able to buy some that were one size for the drive shaft and another for the rearend. I hope I don't have to use this type but I will if I have too. The trans Is a Muncie M-20 wide ratio.

Bob

[Modified by 76 Red, 11:59 AM 1/12/2003]
Old 01-12-2003, 06:21 PM
BeachinVette
Drifting

Default Re: Calling Auto to Manual trans conversion guy's. I have a question. (76 Red)

TTT
Old 01-12-2003, 10:47 PM
Instructor

76RED
I AM IN THE PROCESS OF THE SAME PROJECT. I TOO HAVE CONVERTED A/T TO 4SPD IN MY YOUNGER YEARS, 56CHEV, 71LEMANS. MY ENGINE WILL NOT BE READY FOR A COUPLE WEEKS, I HAVE BEEN FEELING MY WAY THROUGH THE PARTS ISSUE. I HAVE FOUND OUT THE TRANS MOUNTS ARE THE SAME, HOWEVER YOU WILL NEED A TRANS MOUNT BRACKET. THE MOUNT ON THE 4SPD DOES NOT MOUNT DIRECTLY TO THE X-MEMBER AS IN THE A/T.
I BELIEVE WE WILL ALSO HAVE TO DO SOME WELDING OR MODIFICATIONS TO THE X-MEMBER TO FIT THE BRACKET. I THINK I HAVE ALL MY PARTS EXCEPT FOR THE MOUNT BRACKET, EXHAUST BRACKET, AND REBUILD KITS FOR THE SHIFTER AND CLUTCH LINKAGE.
I AM INSTALLING A SUPER T10, THE YOKE FROM THE A/T FIT THE T-10. I DONT KNOW ABOUT THE DRIVE SHAFT YET.
KEEP ME POSTED ON YOUR PROGRESS AND I WILL DO THE SAME.

DENNIS
Old 01-13-2003, 01:22 AM
BeachinVette
Drifting

Default Re: Calling Auto to Manual trans conversion guy's. I have a question. (73383)

Hey Dennis
Thanks for the reply, You got me thinking today I was under my car I have a mounting bracket on mine. My frame in from a 78 manual car. Check out my web link in my sig. I have side pipes so I don't have to worry on the exhaust. My trans cross member is the welded type from a 4 spd. It has been a while since the ressurection of my car. I wish I had my 79 here it is in a friends garage down a few blocks I am assuming the trans mount bolts to the cross member on the auto, and it mounts to a bracket that bolts to the cross member on the 4 spd Right?? If this is so this is how my car is setup. I guess I will run over and climb under the 79 tomorrow to confirm. So this leaves me just needing the linkage kit and a new disc. You will also need the bracket on the frame that holds the Z bar. Thanks Dennis you got me thinking I believe I am closer than I though.

Bob
Old 01-13-2003, 03:00 AM
Instructor

YES THE TRANS MOUNT BOLT TO THE BRACKET THAT BOLT TO THE FRAME. AT LEAST THAT IS WHAT MY ASSY. MANUEL SHOWS. THE BOLT UP OF THE SHIFTER BRACKET IS NOT AS CLEAR AND I AM GOING TO HAVE TO FEEL MY WAY THROUGH SOME OF THIS. I MAY HAVE TO FIND ANOTHER C3 4SPD TO SEE WHAT MODS I'LL HAVE TO MAKE TO THE XMEMBER.
I HAVE THE BRACKET FOR THE Z-BAR. HOWEVER I CAN'T DO ANYTHING UNTILL I GET MY ENGINE BACK, GETTING VERY CLOSE.
FUNNY YOUR GARAGE LOOKED LIKE MINE, CONCRETE BLOCKS AND ALL.

DENNIS
Old 01-13-2003, 03:42 AM
V8yunkie
Racer

You might also need a new starter.... (see my poll from today).

Also you have to make sure that you have pilot bushing in the crank - I have one (bronze type) in mine. Its also possible to replace that by a needle bearing which might be a good idea.

Also you have forgot a clutch kit (clutch disc, pressure plate, throw-out bearing, e.g. LUK-kit from Mid America...)

The speedometer-cable (bottom part) might be of a different length... could be that on a TH350 that you probably have, the connection is on the co-drivers side whereas on the manual, it is on the driver side.

Oh, BTW: Where can you get a z-bar rebuild kit? Would need one, too.

Regards,
Thomas
Old 01-13-2003, 11:33 AM
Ki m Le
Burning Brakes

76 Red,
Don't forget the Neutral safety and backup switche assemblies and wiring harness.

Get notified of new replies

To Calling Auto to Manual trans conversion guy's. I have a question.

Quick Reply: Calling Auto to Manual trans conversion guy's. I have a question.