C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trailing arm Bushing removal and instalation

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2003, 11:16 AM
69vetteL46
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Trailing arm Bushing removal and instalation

I bought a set of energy suspension t-arm bushings to replace my warn out originals. Any tips on how to remove the originals and install the nww ones?
Old 01-11-2003, 01:40 PM
mapman
Melting Slicks

Received 68 Likes on 54 Posts

Default Re: Trailing arm Bushing removal and instalation (69vetteL46)

69vetteL46,

My Corvette shop manual shows using an 11/16 drill to drill out the flared end of the bushing, removing the retainer plate and tapping the retainer out of the bushing. Then the bushings are removed by spreading with a chisel and tapping out of the arm. Severe rust may make removal difficult and the arm may try to spread during removal - "C" clamp to prevent spreading.

The shop manual shows using special tools to install and flare the new bushing. I think Eckler's (and others) carry these tools.
Old 01-11-2003, 01:43 PM
GTR1999
Tech Contributor

Received 2,617 Likes on 1,338 Posts

Default Re: Trailing arm Bushing removal and instalation (69vetteL46)

The originals are 2 rubber pieces sandwiched in between large washers and held by a tube flared on both ends. Once you have the arms off and on a bench you can grind off the flare on one side to hammer out the sleeve. You might have to use a hole saw to cut out the old rubber or they might just fall out.
I think you have poly replacements? I haven't used them so can't help you there, but if they're rubber you'll need a tool to flare the new sleeve over to retain them. The procedure is outlined in the GM service manual.
Good luck,
Gary

Get notified of new replies

To Trailing arm Bushing removal and instalation

Quick Reply: Trailing arm Bushing removal and instalation