C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!!!! WIRING IS DRIVING ME NUTTS

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2003, 09:44 PM
ImBatman
Safety Car

Received 161 Likes on 49 Posts

Default PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!!!! WIRING IS DRIVING ME NUTTS

ok I have scoured all of my wiring diagrams and manuals and cannot find the answer that I am looking for. Here is what I have. In the center console area there is a relay box of some sort. Plugged into it is on one connector a single red wire with a white stripe. On the other connector are two wires, a Pink wire with what looks like a light blue stripe and an Orange wire with a black stripe. These feed down the same harness connector that the power window wiring comes down. Now my questions are:
1. What is this relay?
2. Where does it bolt to?
3. What does the other end of the Orange wire hook to?

If you guys can figure this out I owe you a debt of gratitude. :yesnod: :cheers:
Old 01-10-2003, 11:46 PM
HawkIVette
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!!!! WIRING IS DRIVING ME NUTTS (BlackRat)

I hope this helps you. Couldn't find anything about wiring color, but here are some pictures from a 75 Assembly Manual.

Looks to me like your talking about the Power Window Relay.

First pic shows Relay (labeled as relay assembly that I have circled in blue)
Click on image to enlarge

Second shows relay labeled as #6 with part number in upper right corner of image. Keep in mind this is for a '75

Note in the second picture that the relay bolts 4.10 inches to the left of center. To what, I don't know :D

[Modified by Rich's75, 11:00 PM 1/10/2003]
Old 01-11-2003, 12:22 AM
jetech
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The diagram that I have (1977) shows that it is probably the power window relay. If that is the case then the PINK/BLK wire is from the fuse box "IGN" terminal and is fused by the "Gauges" fuse. The BLK/ORG is from the fuse box also at the "ACCY" terminal and is fused through the PWR/ACCY fuse. The Pink/blk wire is the power source for the power window relay coil. The blk/org wire gives power to the left and right window switches via the red/wht wire once the relay is energized by moving the ignition switch to start or on. The relay looks like it is mounted just aft of the ash tray. It looks like the relay case should be grounded at its mount.
:cheers:
Old 01-11-2003, 08:47 AM
ImBatman
Safety Car

Default Re: PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!!!! WIRING IS DRIVING ME NUTTS (jetech)

Thanks guys. These pics are a little better than my 71 assembly manual. I think that you are right on with the dtermination. My only other problem is an disconnected orange wire with a blk stripe that has an eyelet terminal connector on it. The end is kinda grungy and went through the firewall at one time. I thought that it was the other end of the wire that is connected to the relay but maybe not. The a/c stuff was ripped up pretty good when I bought the car and I thought that it might be to something called the anti dieseling switch. Any opinions on this?

Thanks again for the help. at least I can finish the console today. :cheers:
Old 01-11-2003, 09:37 AM
71'AirStrike
Melting Slicks

ola friend, i hope my advice can help you.
(ok digging through my way back machine)
the orange wire you menchon could be the hot lead to the ciggrette lighter (the eyelet style of connecter is what keying me off on that)
the A/C wires are actually kinda simple. there is a green (mabie blue) wire that runs from the compressor itself directley to the center console. Id say within a few inches of the fan hi/med/lo switch. There is one relay for the lo/med speed for the fan and another relay for the hi speed. The hi speed is located in the engine bay, passenger side near the firewall. There are 2 plugs on the relay. a 2 wire and a 3 wire. the 3 wire (i think) has an orange wire (also a hi volt, thick gauge purple) on it. I menchion this as a backup if the cigrette is lighter is already taken up.

the lo/med fan relay is located center console, passengerside, aprox 8 inches from the shifter at the 1 o,colck position. the connecters are facing towards the front, and it is bolted to the "tranny hump".

all this info im digging from my brain and away from my vette (cuz im in vegas baby!! woo-hoo)
on monday email me if you want and I dig through my 71 conv and help describe/take photos to speed you on your way.

good luck
chad
Old 01-11-2003, 04:22 PM
ImBatman
Safety Car

Default Re: PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!!!! WIRING IS DRIVING ME NUTTS (71'AirStrike)

Thanks for the info Chad. i am heading back out now into the 39 degree temps to strat working on the Vette again. Have fun in Vegas and don't blow it all in one place. If you find yourself standing in front of Elvis at 2 o'clock in the am with a wedding march playing in the back ground you might want to run!!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek: :lol: :yesnod:

Have fun! :cheers:
Old 01-11-2003, 04:56 PM
IETEK
Advanced

Also whenever you re-install the Power window relay make sure that the relay housing has a good ground, because the relay coil is grounded through the housing itself. If you look on the side of the relay there will be a small solder spot this is where the relay coil winding is soldered on the inside of the case if for any reason you pull the case off of the relay be extremely careful not to break the relay coil wire it is a little bigger than a hair. Hope this helps!
IETEK :D
Old 01-11-2003, 10:30 PM
ImBatman
Safety Car

Default Re: PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!!!! WIRING IS DRIVING ME NUTTS (IETEK)

Thanks for all of the suggestions guys but I have still had no luck finding where theis wire goes. I id the cig lighter wire suggested earlier. and everything else I have connected. this is a fat Orange wire with a black stripe. It is comming off the same harness that the power window switches and relay are connected to. I have an idea that it might go through the firewall from onre of the diagrams that I saw in my AIM but it doesn't have a color or a destination. Any other ideas? :confused: I am getting really frustrated with this thing. :mad :cry
Old 01-11-2003, 11:17 PM
Rolling Thunder
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03

I'm no electricon :jester but mine is torn apart right now and it looks like the 14 ga orange is a common power feed. It connects to the gizmo (relay or resister) on the driver's side of the console hump. It also appears to go to the heater blower motor on the passenger side front of the firewall. There are several other orange wires smaller guage scattered throught the system. One of those does power the cig lighter as stated in another reply.

Good luck
Dave

Edited to remove source.

[Modified by Rolling Thunder, 10:36 PM 1/11/2003]
Old 01-11-2003, 11:57 PM
Yellow73BB
Instructor

According to the manual for a 73, the pink with black stripe goes to the IGN cavity in the fuse panel, the Orange with black stripe goes throught he dash to a circuit breaker in the engine comartment, and a red wire goes from there to the battery feed on the horn relay. Then there's a red with white stripe that goes to the two window switches. The reason for the relay is so that your windows won't work without the ignition switch on. When I put power windows in my car, I didn't use the relay so mine work all the time.

Hope this helps.
Old 01-12-2003, 09:23 AM
ImBatman
Safety Car

Default Re: PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!!!! WIRING IS DRIVING ME NUTTS (Yellow73BB)

By George I think that maybe it. I haven't gone out to look yet but both you guys suggestions sound about right. As soon as I check I will let you know and hopefully I can put this thread to rest. :yesnod:
Old 01-16-2003, 09:33 AM
ImBatman
Safety Car

Default Re: PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!!!! WIRING IS DRIVING ME NUTTS (71'AirStrike)

Chad,
Hope you had a good time in Vegas. Can you take some photos for me of your dash wiring. I am thinking that this orange wire that I have been searching for a termination point to comes off the pwr window wiring harness and goes through the firewall and connects to some sort of circuit breaher and then another orange wire leads to the blower motor but I'm not sure. You can send the pics to wfootball1@aol.com.
Thanks for the help.
Wade :cheers:

Get notified of new replies

To PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!!!! WIRING IS DRIVING ME NUTTS

Quick Reply: PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!!!! WIRING IS DRIVING ME NUTTS