C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake Fluid Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2003, 01:37 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,306 Likes on 13,977 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Default Brake Fluid Replacement

I have a friend who has an 81 coupe and is replacing the front calipers due to leakage. While he is at it, he wants to replace the standard brake fluid with synthetic. Anyone know what the procedure is for getting all the old fluid out so only the synthetic remains? Any help would be appreciated.

Please either post a reply here, send an e-mail or IM. Thanks a million.

Old 01-10-2003, 01:58 PM
thejaf
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Brake Fluid Replacement (JDs00PewterCoupe)

Here's what I did when I mixed the two by accident :cuss :smash:

1. Remove all 4 calipers and thoroughly drain them, rinse with isopropyl, then fill with new fluid.

2. Disconnect all brake lines, drain, rinse with isopropyl, then fill with new fluid. Go down to the hardware store and buy a big animal syringe (for giving worm shots to horses) and a short length of tygon tubing. Fill the syringe and hook it up to the disconnected lines with the tubing. This really makes the work go faster. You can also use this method to fill the lines with new fluid as you gradually put them back together.

3. Remove the master cylinder, clean, alcohol rinse, fill with new fluid and bench bleed prior to installation.

I don't think it's a really big deal, but it's time consuming. Now is also a good time to replace the short rubber lines as well.

Oh yea, 4. Bleed the brakes :lol:

Quick Reply: Brake Fluid Replacement