C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New weatherstripping kit has let me down, car still leaks like a sieve...

Old 01-10-2003, 12:40 PM
PartTimeGenius
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default New weatherstripping kit has let me down, car still leaks like a sieve...

About a year ago, I took the recommendations of the Forum and purchased a certain mfr's weatherstripping kit (incl t-top seals) and had it all installed by my friendly local Vette shop. Long story short, the car still leaks when it rains (not blaming the Forum for the recommendation, BTW). Water accumulates above the driver's side sunshade and dumps on your lap the first time you make a turn. The passenger seat and floor are usually wet as well.
A week ago, someone recommended this to another C3 Sauna Pilot: "Michael Davis does a nice job of outlining problems, diagnosis and solutions in his book "Corvette Water Leak & Wind Noise Solutions"
Where can I find this book? I usually buy all my books from Barnes & Noble, but they don't show any listing for it.
Thanks for any info you can provide.
Old 01-10-2003, 01:01 PM
NHvette
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Default Re: New weatherstripping kit has let me down, car still leaks like a sieve... (PartTimeGenius)

Amazon.com has a wide array of new and used book dealers.
You should find it there.

BTW - sounds like you have some serious windshield frame rot near the top
and maybe the bottom corners. Can you see any rust while looking down into
the bottom corners ? If you see it at all, it's usually bad - and maybe worse.

I have read some recent posts here, where folks have cleaned up the seam
areas and sealed them up with different body sealers. IMO this is not a
permanent fix, but admittedly - it's much simpler and easier to do.

Good luck :seeya
Old 01-10-2003, 01:05 PM
jn79vette
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: New weatherstripping kit has let me down, car still leaks like a sieve... (NHvette)

:iagree: i had this same problem early last year.replaced all of my seals and the car still dumped water in my lap when i turned.my mechanic broke my windsheild while installing my new engine.when i had the windsheild replaced the leak stoped.
Old 01-10-2003, 01:22 PM
LAvetteman
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Contributor

Default Re: New weatherstripping kit has let me down, car still leaks like a sieve... (jn79vette)

:iagree: i had this same problem early last year.replaced all of my seals and the car still dumped water in my lap when i turned.my mechanic broke my windsheild while installing my new engine.when i had the windsheild replaced the leak stoped.
:iagree:

In alot of cases an old windshield is not sealed properly. When my glass guy pulled my old glass it was easy see why so many widshield frames rot. He also told me the "old" stuff they used to seal the glass actually atracted moisture. He sealed the new glass real nicely.

Get notified of new replies

To New weatherstripping kit has let me down, car still leaks like a sieve...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New weatherstripping kit has let me down, car still leaks like a sieve...