C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New tach with an HEI conversion? What did you 68-72 guys do?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2003, 10:39 PM
Jughead
Senior Member since 1492
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean people aren't out to get me...
Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Default New tach with an HEI conversion? What did you 68-72 guys do?

Not sure I want to convert to an HEI with my BB swap. That would necessitate a new tach. But I don't want to rip apart the dash at this point.
Any one mount a tach to the steering column like the good 'ol days? :lol:

thanks
Len
Old 01-09-2003, 10:48 PM
Smokehouse69
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Default Re: New tach with an HEI conversion? What did you 68-72 guys do? (1970 Stingray)

I did! :D, Actually I have a 75 tach that I'm going to put in the dash when I pull the dash, later this year to replace the heater core. For the interim I have a $30.00 Sun tach from Autozone strapped to the steering column.
Another alternative is to have your points type distributor converted to HEI. Dave's Small Body HEI's will convert a Corvette tach drive to HEI for about $175.00, cheaper if you go with MSD type trigger and use a MSD Box.
I'd post a link for you, but I don't want the post deleted. Just do a search for Dave's Small Body HEI's, on one of the search engines, and it'll pop up.
Old 01-09-2003, 11:05 PM
yellow 72
Le Mans Master

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Default Re: New tach with an HEI conversion? What did you 68-72 guys do? (1970 Stingray)

I think the mechanical tach in our chrome bumper cars is part of what gives these classic treasures their character. Unique to the vintage American sportscar.
There are plenty of alternatives to strapping an aftermarket tach to the column. Sorry but this is one of my pet peeves, akin to bolting a tape deck under the dash :rolleyes:
MSD has electronic tach drive units or a stock piece can be converted if points are out of the question :cheers:

[Modified by yellow 72, 11:08 PM 1/9/2003]
Old 01-09-2003, 11:10 PM
Steve Straus
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not sure I want to convert to an HEI with my BB swap. That would necessitate a new tach. But I don't want to rip apart the dash at this point.
Any one mount a tach to the steering column like the good 'ol days? :lol:

thanks
Len
There are a couple of options.

Get an MSD 6AL with a Pro-billet tach drive distributor, or get Ecklers Part no 27518 which is an HEI distributor with a tach drive. At 539.99 it's actually more expensive than getting an MSD rig.

I put an aftermarket tach on the column in my Camaro and hated it every day since it's been there. I've personally always felt it was tacky, I like original interiors though.
Old 01-09-2003, 11:18 PM
BSeery
Team Owner

Location: Exiled to Richmond, VA - Finally sold my house in Murfreesboro, TN ?? Corner of "Bumf*&k and 'You've got a purdy mouth'."
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
CI 6-7-8 Veteran
CI-VIII Burnout Champ
St. Jude Donor '06-'10, '13

Default Re: New tach with an HEI conversion? What did you 68-72 guys do? (Steve Straus)

Get an MSD 6AL with a Pro-billet tach drive distributor, or get Ecklers Part no 27518 which is an HEI distributor with a tach drive. At 539.99 it's actually more expensive than getting an MSD rig.
The other option is to upgrade the original distributor to an electronic version with a Petronix adapter kit.
Old 01-10-2003, 12:00 AM
AlwaysWave
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran

Default Re: New tach with an HEI conversion? What did you 68-72 guys do? (BSeery)

Go with the Pertronix, I'm happy with mine coupled with an MSD 6A :cheers:
Old 01-10-2003, 02:23 AM
Steve Straus
Safety Car

Default Re: New tach with an HEI conversion? What did you 68-72 guys do? (BSeery)

The other option is to upgrade the original distributor to an electronic version with a Petronix adapter kit.
Forgot about the pertronix.

I've heard a lot of stories about those things just dying if they get wet, whereas the MSD is supposed to be a little more resilient. I wouldn't turn my nose at one in AZ, but in places where it actually rains often, I'd be hesitent. Just my opinion. You know what they say.. opinions are like a-holes, noone wants to hear yours. :D

--
Steve
Old 01-10-2003, 05:42 AM
Jughead
Senior Member since 1492
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '09

I don't think I want to get into swapping tach's and agree with yellow72. For my use the points are more than adequate. Are SB & BB dist the same?

I had my eye on this one if I didn't switch to HEI:

Chevrolet: 1955-74 262-454 Corvette, dual point, tach drive, distributor

A Mallory dual point distributor can increase coil output by 50 percent. This distributor features stabilized points to eliminate float and bounce, a brass case condenser that eliminates corrosion, self-lubricating bushings, and a super duty cap and rotor to prevent shorting. You can adjust the advance from 16 degrees to 28 degrees.

$180.
Old 01-10-2003, 08:03 AM
theandies
Team Owner

Received 756 Likes on 525 Posts

Get one of these setups

MSD-8572 $286 S_U_M_M_I_T

MSD-6420 $195 S_U_M_M_I_T
I have this setup on my car and love it. The distributor is very configurable and comes with all the springs and hard stops to allow you to set up an advance curve for your engine very easily. Just go to S_U_M_M_I_T_R_A_C_I_N_G.C_O_M (this is so ridiculous that I have to do this to help out a fellow member...........:rant: ) and put those part numbers in the part number search box to get all the information on them.
John
Old 01-10-2003, 08:18 AM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

IMO, only on e way to go, get a tach from a 75-77 vette and have over with it...that damn cable drive thing is a POS right from the factory...those shafts/gears are expensive and short lived...and by now the tachs have enougn faults requiring panel removal to correct, that as long as your' in there, might as well ditch the whole damn mess.....convert to HEI, and change the tach out....

GENE
Old 01-10-2003, 08:45 AM
MELVIN
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: New tach with an HEI conversion? What did you 68-72 guys do? (theandies)

Ive been the MSD and petronix route on my 68. HEi's are nice, but having went MSD, and petronix, here I go:

1. Do you really plan to run high rpms? If so, maybe HEI will pay off for you. But STOCK type HEI units will loose thier energy 4500 rpm and up. MSD type HEI's and such will solve that though.

The MSD box is another story: Keep it EXTREMELY dry. I returned FOUR of these units. They were mounted on the fender well, in front of the gills. Either moisture, mounting or something killed these units (instructions say mount on it back and level). These units are not water proof. Heat will damage them as well. Lots of wires to hook up as well. Instructions say mount LEVEL, although I have seen them mounted otherwise. They can be monted level in the limited space in our cars under the hood, and have worked fine for many folks . But again, when I have 4 units crap out, at 130 a piece, I dont want it (I only paid once, and got free replacement units, but when the 5th canked, that was it)

Stock points distributors arent that bad for your average street and occasional strip driver at all. Especially if you place in a points replacement unit, like I did, Petronix. No extra parts, fits right in place of your points, and is hidden, (no big red box). Now you dont have to worry about points gapping, setting dwell, which is a PIA with regular points. These units dont wear out either like pointsl

Now folks will say on this forum how the petronix has died on them. I have driven my 68 BB MANY highway and city miles, with NO failures for over 3 years. And if they get wet? Well, if the inside of your distrinutor cap gets wet, points, petronix, nor HEI is going to work. And how is the inside of the distro cap get wet unless you pressure wash under the hood without covering it?

Bottom line. Unless you are going WOT at high rpms, you really dont need HEI. But if you are a average driver, but like WOT every now and again, just replace your point with a points replacement unit, like petronixs. Its like $80, another $40 with the coil, if you choose to get the coil. No mounting issues, and just one extra wire to run, and takes about 20 minutes to install, and is completly hidden(Note: You can run your stock coil like I do if you want)

No, I dont work for petronix. Im just stating what has/hasnt worked for me

Sorry, I cant see spending 5-600 on high peformance type HEI unless you are going to use it for its potential, that is, getting it on for sustained times at high rpms. Even then, with my points replacement, Ive been WOT at 5-6000 rpm, with no issues, although Im sure an HEI will put out more juice at that range

One last thing. If that aftermarket HEI dies, you cant fix if on the street or at home. If petronix fails, place in a set of old style points and get going

Id think about the style of driver you are, before buying either
Old 01-10-2003, 08:50 AM
Flareside
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi Len,

I'm not a big fan of those add-on tachs either. Come on Len, no "strap-ons" allowed! :lolg:

The MSD tach drive and box is a nice solution, but expensive. If you want to save a few bucks, you can run the same setup that I have on my '68. I use the stock tach drive distributor (and the stock tach), and use it to drive an Accel 300+ ignition box. When you have an ignition box, the points are only used to trigger the ignition, not to charge the coil like they did in the stock system, so the points never wear out. I've had mine like this for 2 years now, and the points are like new and the dwell has never moved. I'm using the high quality Accel points that Summit sells for around $20.

I choose the Accel mainly because of its tiny footprint (easy to hide), but you can run just about any ignition box. I like the digital models because they don't seem to fail as often as the older MSD 6A~ stuff. I know of a few guys running an ignition like mine around here, and they all love it. I also made a small plug-in harness that I keep in the glove box, just in case the ignition box ever dies. I can just plug in the harness and be back to a standard points ignition in about 5 minutes. My '68 will never see a flatbed! Knock on wood...

Unfortunately, I'm another one of the forum guys that has had both a Pertronix and MSD 6AL fail, and I never drove either one in the rain.

[Modified by Flareside, 8:54 AM 1/10/2003]
Old 01-10-2003, 08:54 AM
Alwyn678
Team Owner

Received 142 Likes on 125 Posts

Just go and buy a Mallory Dual point distributor for 180 bucks with the tach drive. My car was HEI when I bought and that was the first thing to go..So I could use the tach. I have had HEI, Pertronix and the Dual Point is the best system so far

[Modified by Alwyn678, 8:55 AM 1/10/2003] Race proven performance

Chevrolet: 1955-74 262-454 Corvette, dual point, tach drive, distributor

A Mallory dual point distributor can increase coil output by 50 percent. This distributor features stabilized points to eliminate float and bounce, a brass case condenser that eliminates corrosion, self-lubricating bushings, and a super duty cap and rotor to prevent shorting. You can adjust the advance from 16 degrees to 28 degrees.

:yesnod:

[Modified by Alwyn678, 8:59 AM 1/10/2003]
Old 01-10-2003, 09:10 AM
yellow 72
Le Mans Master

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Default Re: New tach with an HEI conversion? What did you 68-72 guys do? (Alwyn678)

I ran my stock dist. with a Unilite electronic conversion for years and it worked just fine. When I switched manifolds and carb a couple years ago a decided to use the Accel dual point tach drive unit that I bought long ago and never used (it's aluminum so I polished it to match the intake :cool: )
I can tell you this much, coupled with the MSD 6A my little hot rod starts instantly and will spin past 6000 with nary a miss...what more can I ask from an ignition?
Old 01-10-2003, 09:29 AM
Alwyn678
Team Owner

Received 142 Likes on 125 Posts

Default Re: New tach with an HEI conversion? What did you 68-72 guys do? (Alwyn678)

BTW it is 68-74 VETTES
Old 01-10-2003, 09:40 AM
rainman69
Drifting

I went with the MSD. Knock on wood, I've had nary a problem with it...once I got it stabbed in the right direction (Try running you car with the distributor 180 degrees out sometime :banghead: ).

I've talked to a bunch of dudes that use MSD equipment for various things and they all said that poor grounding is the #1 killer of MSD -6 boxes. I chose the ground point on the frame for the starter to ground the MSD to as well as cleaned a small contact point of bare metal before rebolting the ground wires.

Whichever way you go, just keep the stock tach please! :grouphug:

[Modified by rainman69, 8:41 AM 1/10/2003]
Old 01-10-2003, 06:00 PM
Jughead
Senior Member since 1492
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '09

Hi Len,

I'm not a big fan of those add-on tachs either. Come on Len, no "strap-ons" allowed! :lolg:

[Modified by Flareside, 8:54 AM 1/10/2003]
:rofl: :lolg: You're just too, too funny Joe. That's a good one. :rofl:

Yeah, I'd like to stick with the stock tach/dist and Redvetracer has an LS5 dist I can use.

Al---yeah, I know it's 68-74 and was thinking 68-74 but typed 68-72. :crazy:

Thanks for all the ideas guys. I like all these new smiley's. :hurray:

Get notified of new replies

To New tach with an HEI conversion? What did you 68-72 guys do?

Quick Reply: New tach with an HEI conversion? What did you 68-72 guys do?