C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Launch issues, How to after using line lock

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2003, 07:26 PM
Clink69
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Launch issues, How to after using line lock

Not too much response in Drag racing so I thought I try in here. Looking for ideas on how to launch after using my new line lock. What RPM, Dump the clutch? Especially looking for 4 spd cars with similar HP.

Check out my post at

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/zerothread?id=468118

Thanx Chris :flag

[Modified by Clink69, 7:27 PM 1/9/2003]
Old 01-09-2003, 09:15 PM
Crash Dummy
Safety Car

St. Jude Contributor
Default Re: Launch issues, How to after using line lock (Clink69)

I wish I could help you with a stick car on launching, but I'm confused what you are expecting from a line lock to help you off the line. The basic functions of a line lock are for burn outs and for not rolling through the staging lights as it allows you to keep your feet on the clutch & accelorator and not on the footbrake. In essence... you can prestage.... bring up the RPM's to a specified amount... bump the clutch & then use the line lock to stage the same way every time. And staging is extremely important as you can never get consistant reaction times if you stage one time deeper or shallower. Dumping the clutch is an art and I will not even attempt to touch that subject.

The greatest invention ever for drag racing? Of course it is for automatics. The *transbrake*. Should never be used in a 3500lb Vette though as you'll rip the tranny up more than not.
Old 01-09-2003, 09:22 PM
GrandSportC3
Team Owner

Received 83 Likes on 58 Posts
Cruise-In IV-V-VI-VII-VIII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03, '06, '17

Well - I don't use the linelock for launching.. I only use it to warm up the tires to get better traction.. The way I launch is that I REV the engine to 2500-3000 and when the green light drops - I let the clutch come and in the same speed hit the gas.. With this technique - my best 60' time was 1.676

:cheers:

Olivier
Old 01-10-2003, 02:48 PM
Clink69
Drifting

Default Re: Launch issues, How to after using line lock (GrandSportC3)

I will use the line lock for a burnout and only to hold the stage. My question is after the burnout I need to modify my launch technique because the tires are stickier. What should I do differently than I used to. I used to launch at around 2000 RPM and the motor bogs or over 3000 it just spins. What can I expect now with the stickier tires?

Chris
Old 01-11-2003, 09:47 AM
Budman68
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '07

Slicks or Drag radials. If you are using slick, then you are running to much pressure or they are not big enough. Drag radials will probably never stick if you are spinning at a 3000 launch. I would launch at 3000, but try not to mash it to the floor at green. As the front dip down and then hammer it. It may not be a left wheel in the air launch, but your times want be all over the place because of spinning. Note: Watch the ricers, they dump the clutch at the track and spin for days.

I use nitrous and street tires, so the launch it my only advantage. To much gas and I'm sideways, not enough and I lose.

Get notified of new replies

To Launch issues, How to after using line lock

Quick Reply: Launch issues, How to after using line lock