C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vert Guys...who'd be interested in double hoop roll bar?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2003, 05:55 PM
71roadster
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Vert Guys...who'd be interested in double hoop roll bar?

I am considering buying some rather expensive tooling so I can build my own roll bar to spec. I plan on building a double hoop bar that goes up as high as possible without interfering with the convertible top, which means that it will go up just past the top of my head, not far at all really and my mock ups seem to me to fit really well with the car, not out of place at all. It will be made out of .083 inch thick 1-5/8 chromoly tubing and be a four point design. Here is a key point, I plan on cutting into my deck lid, just enough to clear the hoops. I dont think I will loose any or much strength in the deck lid because I dont need to cut into the bracing of the lid and will probably add some bracing with some cables and turnbuckles. I plan on doing a little fiberglass work on mine to blend in the mod and then painting part of the lid satin black. The reason I am doing this is because I am 6'1" tall and can't afford to give up any leg room. The back braces will be welded as high up the bars as possible without interfering with the deck. It won't be SCCA legal or probably any other sanctioning body but it should add significantly to the bracing of the chassis and give me a lot more margin of safety in the event of a rollover than I have now, which is basically none - can't stand the thought of a roadrash all the way down to my shoulders! The bar would need to be welded to the frame which means cutting into your inner fenders a bit, pushing the fuel lines out of the way, grinding the ends of the bar to fit your particular car, and having it TIG welded to the frame, and glassing in the openings around the bar (don't be intimidated by a little non visible/structural fiberglass work, its really easy). I would provide the basic four point bar, TIG welded and powder coated. My guess is it would be about $400 to $500. maybe less, maybe more. I may also incorporate mounting points for the stock seatbelt retractor, points for a harness mount, and possibly mounting points for some type of wind screen. It may take 4 to 6 months to crank out the first one, but if I am going to do more then one, I want to do it before I have mine all welded in. So who would be interested?

I looked at trying to do it without cutting the deck lid and think it would present to many other issues, like bruised shoulders and a lot of bends above the deck lid, so it is highly unlikely that I will go that route, but I will give it a try before I cut my deck.

Chris
Old 01-09-2003, 06:01 PM
74-Roadster
Le Mans Master

Received 102 Likes on 37 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06
Father & Son St. Jude Donor '09

Default Re: Vert Guys...who'd be interested in double hoop roll bar? (71roadster)

I'd like to see your concept and mock up before I decide. But since it won't be legal, I'll probably pass. What are the specifics to be legal? Are they available on the net by the various governing bodies?

Sounds cool, post some pics and/or drawings.
Old 01-09-2003, 06:04 PM
70 LS1
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: Vert Guys...who'd be interested in double hoop roll bar? (74-Roadster)

I might be interested in a single hoop design. But again, I would want to see mockups before I decide.
Old 01-09-2003, 06:18 PM
71roadster
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Vert Guys...who'd be interested in double hoop roll bar? (74-Roadster)

I'll try to get a pic next time I have a camera available. To be legal, the back brace must be within 6" of the top of the bar and it must be one big hoop rather than 2 individual hoops. Most roadrace bars must also have some kind of brace to the front as well. I couldn't find any of the sanctioning bodies rules on the net, they all charge $$$ for their rule books so maybe some one who has one can chime in, but I am pretty sure it won't be legal. However, some clubs are now running time trials at various race tracks and dont require any roll bar at all, so I figure my design will offer a lot more then what we now have.

C
Old 01-09-2003, 06:30 PM
Corey_68
Team Owner

Received 391 Likes on 237 Posts

Default Re: Vert Guys...who'd be interested in double hoop roll bar? (71roadster)

I'd be intertested if it's legal. :cheers:
Old 01-09-2003, 07:45 PM
bhays
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

:seeya

me
Old 01-09-2003, 08:44 PM
Crash Dummy
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Contributor

I'd be interested it if wasn't 4-6 months. 2 months? I could live with that as it will take that long to finish all of these semi-radical changes from 195HP to 400+. Plans are right now to let a local race shop put in a 4 pt rollbar. Houston Raceway Park(dragstrip) is not gonna allow me to put up more than one 12 second run before they trailer me unless I have the roll bars. And I have no plans on going hardtop. Like you... I see no way around not cutting into the flip up as my seats lean against the thing right now.
Old 01-09-2003, 08:45 PM
SmokedTires
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05

Default Re: Vert Guys...who'd be interested in double hoop roll bar? (bhays)

I'd recommend making the hoops a bit taller so they can be adjusted to different cars ;) .
Old 01-09-2003, 09:04 PM
flynhi
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

My discussion last weekend with C3 roadracer John Tieman confirms your description of requirements to make the roll bar "legal" for their events.
Old 01-09-2003, 09:29 PM
70 LS1
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: Vert Guys...who'd be interested in double hoop roll bar? (flynhi)

One more thing to add about the "legality" of it. Different sanctioning bodies have different requirements. Sometimes they don't overlap. Meaning, a bar may not be able to meet all the requirements for all the different types of racing.

I plan on installing a bar in the future purely for my safety and maybe looks, too. Since I don't race, I don't have to worry about all the different rules.

For you racers out there that are interested, check with your specific organization and see if this will work.

Get notified of new replies

To Vert Guys...who'd be interested in double hoop roll bar?

Quick Reply: Vert Guys...who'd be interested in double hoop roll bar?