C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I have the steering wheel off on my vette. How do I honk the horn?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2003, 04:35 PM
Shark Racer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

Default I have the steering wheel off on my vette. How do I honk the horn?

Tilt/telescopic 78.

I see a button between some grooves that pushes in and pops back out. Roughly looks like where the horn should be. When I push it in, nothing happens. What gives?

-Steve
Old 01-09-2003, 04:46 PM
terryrudy
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: I have the steering wheel off on my vette. How do I honk the horn? (Pacin'California)

If yours is like my T/T, there is a little hole within the center of the column (a little spring thing pops out of it and thats where the horn is. Check out Jim Shea's documents on corvettefaq. Plenty of good detailed drawings.

Now that i think about it, maybe its a little metal bit that points into that hole. Been awhile. Just check the pics: http://www.corvettefaq.com/redir.asp?site=610 :)
good luck!
-terry

[Modified by terryrudy, 1:50 PM 1/9/2003]
Old 01-09-2003, 05:00 PM
NHvette
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Default Re: I have the steering wheel off on my vette. How do I honk the horn? (terryrudy)

The spring and eyelet that stick out make up a rotary contact.
This contacts the horn button assembly, via a donut shaped metal ring.
I believe that connecting this spring loaded terminal to ground (metal case of column)
will sound the horn.

Have extra fuses on hand :lol: :lol: I'm saying this all from memory.

:seeya
Old 01-09-2003, 05:01 PM
Jim Shea
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

Default Re: I have the steering wheel off on my vette. How do I honk the horn? (terryrudy)

If your battery is connected, and you ground that little plunger to the steering shaft; (i.e. bridge with something like an insulated screwdriver) your horn should blow. For the most part, it is a good idea to disconnect your battery whenever you are working on the steering column.
Old 01-09-2003, 05:10 PM
Shark Racer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Re: I have the steering wheel off on my vette. How do I honk the horn? (Jim Shea)

Thanks Jim. Where exactly is the horn located? Mine has been DOA for years.

I'll go outside and take some pics of where I'm at.

-Steve
Old 01-09-2003, 05:17 PM
Shark Racer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Re: I have the steering wheel off on my vette. How do I honk the horn? (Pacin'California)

I ran speaker wire from the little metal button to other metal areas, but it did not seem to do much. Wouldn't the horn sound at least a little?

-Steve
Old 01-09-2003, 08:02 PM
Big Fish
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Cruise-In 5-6-7-8-9-11-12 Veteran
A CI-6 Car Show Winner

If the horn has problems with the voice mechanism it won't make even a peep. Take a resistance reading from the horn terminal to ground (at the horn, no wire connected). If you don't get a reading the horn has problems. It sounds funny, but you might give it a little whack or 2 :smash: and see if you get a reading then. There is a adjusting screw on the horn, try a 1/4 turn in either direction to see if that makes a difference. If the horn checks out good, then you will need to take voltage readings at the horn wire to see if it is getting power to ground.
Old 01-09-2003, 10:55 PM
Jim Shea
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

Default Re: I have the steering wheel off on my vette. How do I honk the horn? (Big Fish)

There are three basic areas where you can have horn problems. 1) the horns themselves; 2) the horn relay; 3) the horn circuit in the column.

1) The horns have a dark green 14 gage wire coming to them from the horn relay. Disconnect this wire from the horns and connect a 12v source to the horns; they should operate. If they don't they need to be replaced or repaired.

2) Follow the dark green wire to the horn relay under the hood. The dark green wire should be going to a terminal marked #3 on the relay. Remove the relay from its mounting and connect a jumper from terminal #2 to ground. (If the relay terminals are of the slip-on type, slide a prod into the wiring harness connector to make contact for the ground.)

If the horns operate, check the #2 terminal wire and horn circuit through the column for defects.

If the horns do not operate, leave the #2 terminal connected to ground, and connect a voltmeter from the #3 terminal to ground. If a reading is obtained, check the horn wiring and horns for defects. If no reading is obtained, replace the horn relay.

3). The last two wires in the column wiring connector are a black and a pink wire. The third wire will be black. There should be continuity from the third wire up to the spring loaded plunger in the column head. When you press on the steering wheel horn button. There should be continuity from the third black wire all the way to the end of the steering shaft.
Old 01-11-2003, 04:16 AM
tippi58
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great post Jim, couldnt have put it better myself. :cheers:

After spending some time with my steering wheel contacts I found it was a poor connection at the horn !! :jester

:cool: :cool: :cool:

Get notified of new replies

To I have the steering wheel off on my vette. How do I honk the horn?

Quick Reply: I have the steering wheel off on my vette. How do I honk the horn?