C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Generator light stays on and voltage guage dose not move

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2003, 12:56 PM
cgasser
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Generator light stays on and voltage guage dose not move

I have a 1979 L48 stingray with the following situation.
My generator light was staying on, so I had the alternator checked out and was told that it was giving out enough voltage although the shop thought that possibly the relay was bad and therefore not sending a signal to the light. I have replaced the alternator twice, and now the light is still staying on, the voltage gauge is not moving from the position of under 8 volts and to add insult to injury, my Tach now does not move.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what is going on.
Old 01-09-2003, 02:03 PM
MN-Brent
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Generator light stays on and voltage guage dose not move (cgasser)

You have a set-up with the alternator that takes the battery voltage through your dash and through the generator light and back to the alternator on the 2 wire clip. Normally what seems to happen is the light bulb burns out or a connection in the dash gets loose and you do not get this voltage back to the 2 wire clip and your alternator turns off.

Your problem is different, your light is staying on and your voltage guage is reading low.

You need to take a voltmeter, like a Digital Multimeter, and check your battery to confirm this low voltage. My guess is you have a bad/loose connection at your alternator/starter or fiuse box area.

Check those areas first. I also have heard that the fuse box can pull away from its fully clip locked position and open up some of the connections coming throught the firewall.

EDIT:also the fusible link my need to be checked out, which I think is normally closer to the battery.

Good luck,

Brent...

[Modified by MN-Brent, 1:11 PM 1/9/2003]
Old 01-09-2003, 02:28 PM
page62
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The same thing happend to me 2 days ago. It turned out one of the wires that went to the voltage regulator plug had broken off. I was lucky because it only took 2 minutes to find...
Old 01-09-2003, 03:59 PM
dkgrn79
Intermediate

same thing happened to me last week. i just installed a new CD player, and when putting the dash back together, i didn't push the plug into the back of the guage cluster all the way.

took it back apart and made sure that the plugs were in securly... works fine now.

ps... i did the same thing and swapped out the alternator first. it was actually a lot easier to install a new alternator, than to take the freakin dash apart again.

good luck! :steering:
Old 01-17-2003, 11:54 AM
cgasser
6th Gear

Default Re: Generator light stays on and voltage guage dose not move (MN-Brent)

how do i find the fuseable link?

Get notified of new replies

To Generator light stays on and voltage guage dose not move

Quick Reply: Generator light stays on and voltage guage dose not move