C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Re-Doing the window trim...

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2003, 02:56 AM
HcDave1
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re-Doing the window trim...

http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/hcdavecor...c=ph%26.view=t

On the picture i want to know, Whats the easyest way to make the window trim thats crome/black now how to make it look stock again? on the right hand side is what im talking about, i would love to make it all black again.
Old 01-09-2003, 07:08 AM
UKPaul
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Re: Re-Doing the window trim... (HcDave1)

What I did was to remove them from the car. As I remember (it was a while ago!) I had to remove the weatherstrip for the front of the side window which then exposes some screws that hold the trim on. Remove these screws & also one thats buried in the piece of weather strip at the top of the trim (can't remember the details on the screws, but if you gently wiggle the trim you'll see where the hidden one is). They'll be 2 separate bits of trim on each side with a thin rubber seal betwwen the two. Just strip the old paint & spray them with flat black, get them powder coated, whatever you want. The trim on my '81 is made of aluminum which is mirror polished & then clear anodised to give a nice, long lasting polished appearance. Then they were sprayed black! I decided to go for the polished finish, so stripped the remnants of the paint but found that the clear anodising was in bad condition. To polish the ally again the anodising needs to be removed. I did it by hand with wet-or-dry but it took ages. You're better off getting it chemically stripped. Then the ally can be mirror polished & clear anodised to stop corrosion. Alternatively you can get it black anodised. I did that on my rocker panels. It doesn't look like the standard paint finish - it looks far better.
Of course, once you're re-painted or polished the side trims then the trim across the top of the window will look like it needs renovating :)
When putting the side trims back on just lightly tighten the screws so that you can just slide the trim about. Then temp fit the weatherstrip & slide the trim about to give the correct fit for the weatherstrip against the side window. Then carefully remove the weatherstrip & tighten up the screws fully (I used a smear of black silicon RTV on both sides of the rubber strip between both parts of the trim).
Hope some of this was what you wanted!
:cheers:

Quick Reply: Re-Doing the window trim...