C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

StingrayCrazy, Monty, Twin_Turbo... i have a quick question.

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2003, 02:41 AM
'79ProwlerOrange
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default StingrayCrazy, Monty, Twin_Turbo... i have a quick question.

Is this turbo too big? i missed out on one off a 7.3L because i was helping a friend get a truck bed from a junk yard :mad it went for $200! :mad

anyway i wanted to see if this one is a bit large. it looks pretty huge, but you 3 are pretty much the turbo experts, and i wanted to see what you thought.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...876355248&rd=1

Thanks guys. :cheers:
Old 01-09-2003, 03:25 AM
HcDave1
Racer

Default Re: StingrayCrazy, Monty, Twin_Turbo... i have a quick question.

Hey if it would fit in my 78, you and i will be in a battle over this product :smash:
Old 01-09-2003, 03:31 AM
'79ProwlerOrange
Safety Car

Default Re: StingrayCrazy, Monty, Twin_Turbo... i have a quick question. (HcDave1)

Im cool with some competition. :cool: only thing is, my motor isnt stock and can take a pretty good ammount of boost. if yours is stock a big turbo isnt a great idea. ive got forged pistons, rods and a freshly reground forged L-82 crank. im going to need a new top end to do a turbo because my compression is too high, but other than that im ready to buy. if you want i will notify you of any good turbos i am spotting. :cheers:
Old 01-09-2003, 04:52 AM
HcDave1
Racer

Default Re: StingrayCrazy, Monty, Twin_Turbo... i have a quick question. ('79ProwlerOrange)

that would be awsome when you spot stuff to throw it my way :)
Old 01-09-2003, 06:20 AM
groovyjay
Le Mans Master

Received 169 Likes on 91 Posts

Default Re: StingrayCrazy, Monty, Twin_Turbo... i have a quick question. ('79ProwlerOrange)

Is that T04? Only one, no TT? :lol:
Old 01-09-2003, 06:32 AM
Stingraycrazy
Racer

Hey Ben, It looks to be a large shaft T4. Garrett turbos are a good choice and easy to get parts for. It would fit but the size or trim of the turbo is not listed. You need more info on the compressor and turbine trim also the exhaust AR ratio. The 1.10ar compressor housing is promising and it looks large enough to flow the air you need for a single turbo setup. The split tang exhaust housing would be good for separating both left and right banks of the motor and is the most efficient design. If you can get it cheap it would be ok but remember you will need to get it machined for a positive seal in a draw through setup. Most diesel turbos are the blow through type and do not have the positive compressor seals you need. Have you checked around for a rebuild shop in your area? :crazy:
Old 01-09-2003, 06:38 AM
'79ProwlerOrange
Safety Car

Default Re: StingrayCrazy, Monty, Twin_Turbo... i have a quick question. (Stingraycrazy)

yea i know of one that will give me a good deal. thay do alot of SC setups and turbos on old rods. ill email they guy and if i can get it cheap i will.
Old 01-09-2003, 06:40 AM
'79ProwlerOrange
Safety Car

Default Re: StingrayCrazy, Monty, Twin_Turbo... i have a quick question. (groovyjay)

TT is for guys who are nutz! :lol: maybe when i can afford it. :lol:

[edit]

yea im nutz. :lol:

[Modified by '79ProwlerOrange, 4:42 AM 1/9/2003]
Old 01-09-2003, 06:49 AM
Stingraycrazy
Racer

You have mail :thumbs:
Old 01-09-2003, 06:51 AM
'79ProwlerOrange
Safety Car

Default Re: StingrayCrazy, Monty, Twin_Turbo... i have a quick question. (Stingraycrazy)

i do?
Old 01-09-2003, 06:51 AM
'79ProwlerOrange
Safety Car

:lol: nevermind i got it
Old 01-09-2003, 06:55 AM
'79ProwlerOrange
Safety Car

Thats Awesome! thanks Frank! :cheers: :cool:
Old 01-09-2003, 08:09 AM
'79ProwlerOrange
Safety Car

ok guys... say i was to go TT... this looks like it would work well, and looks fairly cheap as of now... its 2 T04B15s

Edited link out because i may buy em, check pic below for info. sorry :D

[Modified by '79ProwlerOrange, 7:31 AM 1/9/2003]
Old 01-09-2003, 09:16 AM
Twin_Turbo
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The 1st one looks to be a bit big, but really can't tell anything about it without the details...

The 2nd link, now there's something interesting.

They are good for about 300Hp per unit. It's got an S trim compressor wheel A/R .60 , O trim turbine wheel A/R .84 and what looks to be a T3 flange. I've seen those for sale somewhere for 450$ a piece.. lemme look.

Somewhat ideal for a 350 w/ moderate output (15psi max) is a pair of S-4 / O .81 turbo's For high output (25psi) somewhat ideal is: 2 S-4/O.96

Marck

[Modified by Twin_Turbo, 8:40 AM 1/9/2003]
Old 01-09-2003, 09:18 AM
Twin_Turbo
Race Director

Default Re: StingrayCrazy, Monty, Twin_Turbo... i have a quick question. (Twin_Turbo)

found it!
http://www.turbochargers.com/current...ls/T4turbo.htm

Marck
Old 01-09-2003, 09:22 AM
'79ProwlerOrange
Safety Car

Default Re: StingrayCrazy, Monty, Twin_Turbo... i have a quick question. (Twin_Turbo)

Shhhh! i dont want someone else to compete with me for these!!! :lol:

here is something interesting:

Now this is intercooled (something i want to do) at 20PSI which i gaurantee i would never see at this altitude. i could probably pull 15 with race gas but look at that BHP number! woah! i may have to get these...

[Modified by '79ProwlerOrange, 8:03 AM 1/9/2003]
Old 01-09-2003, 10:01 AM
Twin_Turbo
Race Director

Make certain they are what you want!!! They have T3 turbine houstings, are you sure it's an S-3 trim and not an S-4 ? (since you stated S3 in that turbocalc program) also, the AR is .84 and not .82.

Did you buy that turbocalc thingie??

[Modified by Twin_Turbo, 9:08 AM 1/9/2003]

Get notified of new replies

To StingrayCrazy, Monty, Twin_Turbo... i have a quick question.

Old 01-09-2003, 10:09 AM
'79ProwlerOrange
Safety Car

im pretty turbo illerate, sooooo why are the things you said bad? can the T3 housing not handle as much boost? or is generally not as good? im not sure which S trim they are but when i plugged in 20Psi on that program thats what it came up with. do S-4s spool slower? i feel like im 8 years old and im being taught Algebra! :crazy: they seem to be pretty close to what you said for a moderate TT setup, and thats pretty much what im going for. good streetability with good track numbers. i want to hit 11s at my altitude basically, but i dont want it to be slow until i hit 4500 RPM.
Old 01-09-2003, 10:58 AM
Monty
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks like you've already got your questions answered by the other guys. I didn't see the link for the pair of smaller turbos, but I think the first turbo is on the large side for a street 355, but it's hard to say exactly without knowing what size compressor and turbine are in there. A/R alone doesn't really tell you much.

Judging by the fact that you're looking on eBay for turbos, I'm assuming you're looking to get your turbos used, which is fine becuase most turbos can be easily and relatively inexpensive to rebuild assuming no physical damage. I would just caution you to be patient and get the right turbo for your application. A specific turbo can fit a wide variety of applications, but do your best to get the one that fits your needs not one that's cheap and readily available. It will be the difference between a successful turbo install and one that gives turbos a bad reputation - lag, no power/boost until high rpms or alternatively a small turbo that spools at very low rpms and then becomes inefficient and incapable of supporting the engines flow requirements as rpms increase(see the Cerra Racing 62-1 C5 turbo system.) The actual cost of the turbo is a very small part of the overall cost/effort involved with fabricating a complete custom system.
Old 01-09-2003, 11:04 AM
'79ProwlerOrange
Safety Car

Default Re: StingrayCrazy, Monty, Twin_Turbo... i have a quick question. (Monty)

Looks like you've already got your questions answered by the other guys. I didn't see the link for the pair of smaller turbos, but I think the first turbo is on the large side for a street 355, but it's hard to say exactly without knowing what size compressor and turbine are in there. A/R alone doesn't really tell you much.

Judging by the fact that you're looking on eBay for turbos, I'm assuming you're looking to get your turbos used, which is fine becuase most turbos can be easily and relatively inexpensive to rebuild assuming no physical damage. I would just caution you to be patient and get the right turbo for your application. A specific turbo can fit a wide variety of applications, but do your best to get the one that fits your needs not one that's cheap and readily available. It will be the difference between a successful turbo install and one that gives turbos a bad reputation - lag, no power/boost until high rpms or alternatively a small turbo that spools at very low rpms and then becomes inefficient and incapable of supporting the engines flow requirements as rpms increase(see the Cerra Racing 62-1 C5 turbo system.) The actual cost of the turbo is a very small part of the overall cost/effort involved with fabricating a complete custom system.
IM'd you :cheers:

Quick Reply: StingrayCrazy, Monty, Twin_Turbo... i have a quick question.