C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Benefits of Front Monospring

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2003, 02:36 AM
LiveandLetDrive
Melting Slicks

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Default Benefits of Front Monospring

Looking to make some major upgrades to my suspension, exactly how beneficial is a front monospring? Spring rate is adjustable (the benefit I like the most) so I'm not worried about ride quality, but is it worth the $400+ cost? Any and all impressions from people who have done similar upgrades would be appreciated. (I'm looking at the one from VBP, are there others?)

Edit: Is the front monospring well matched with the normal 330 lb rear monospring? I would be adding a rear monospring (330lb probably) previous or simultaneous to this upgrade.

Thanks,
Chris

[Modified by RUXperienced, 8:23 AM 1/9/2003]
Old 01-09-2003, 04:02 AM
bowtie racing
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Re: Benefits of Front Monospring (RUXperienced)

benefits??? Lower ground clearance,more weight ... I havent seen any proven gain of converting monofront. I believe more matched front suspension components .Correct springs,cut to desired lenght ,good bushings,quality shocks like bilstains or konis and good swaybar. With these and modern tire you will get good contact and cornering.

Old 01-09-2003, 06:22 AM
Jason Staley
Melting Slicks

Received 145 Likes on 88 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran

First of all, lets gets things straight.
1) A front monoleaf does NOT hurt your ground clearance. I have one and it is still not the lowest thing on the car and I've never hit it on anything.
2) Increased weight?? I THINK NOT. You can hold the spring up with one finger. Try that with the 2 steel stock springs. I bet your finger will be hurting before long.

Now for the benefits: REDUCED unsprung weight (If you use the spring & tubular a-arms), adjustable ride height, adjustable spring rate. I use both monoleafs in the front and back and am very pleased. I keep them on the softest spring rate due to the bad roads around my house and I get quite a nice ride out of them. To answer your question about spring rate, I have my rear spring set at about 300 lb/in right now, so yes the front spring would work with your 330 lb/in rear spring. The real trick to getting a good ride due to the REAR monoleaf spring is getting shocks designed for this setup. I use the KYB shocks from VBP and there is very little bouncing. I've tried the Bilstein shocks but they were just too stiff for my area.
:cheers:
Old 01-09-2003, 06:26 AM
groovyjay
Le Mans Master

Received 169 Likes on 91 Posts

Default Re: Benefits of Front Monospring (Jason Staley)

I'm with you Jason. :yesnod:
Old 01-09-2003, 09:52 AM
flynhi
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Ditto JasonStanley.
The OE suspension will perform very well for street use when rebuilt and properly setup. Of course, it does not have the adjustability of the VB springs.
IMHO, the tubular A Arms are not worth the $ - they do look cool tho.

Get notified of new replies

To Benefits of Front Monospring

Quick Reply: Benefits of Front Monospring